DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I thought I was set on the pioneers but after doing some research on the alpines and hearing some describe the tweeters on the pioneer set as harsh I am not so sure anymore. I'm torn between the two. Is there anyone here who has tried both that could offer some input?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have read the general consensus seems to be that the alpines have a better tweeter (although Ive seen some disagree with that) and the pioneers have better mid bass. I am looking for some opinions on other differences that could help me make a decision between the two. I am really torn between them as they are both in my price range and both seem to be great for the money.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
How and where will you be installing the tweeters? I've never heard either set, but if you plan on mounting the tweets on axis, the alpine tweeter may be better. If you plan on mounting them off axis, the "harsher" pioneer tweeter might work better.

These are 2 popular sets by big name companies, try to listen to them for yourself if you can. You will find that your tastes vary greatly from others. Some people love the sparkly of a "harsh" tweeter, and other people love the less detailed-non fatiguing tweets. But the way you will install your speakers will help determine which route to take to get the desired results.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the mids will be installed in the doors with only a lil bit of dampening (at least for now, thats my next upgrade) and the tweeters will be installed off axis in the a pillars of my car at first. I do plan on making some tweeter pods like the ones in this thread. So they will eventually be mounted on axis.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I should also share some more info on my music preferences and the kind of sound I prefer. As far as the type of sound I like, I prefer a fairly neutral sound with a small tip towards warm and laidback. I like a nice detailed and extended top end but do not like any harshness. I prefer my tweeters to sound detailed without getting harsh and sibilant. I do enjoy a healthy amount of midbass. As far as taste in music, I listen to just about everything except for country music. The genres I listen to most would be rock, metal, rap, and jazz.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
This is EXACTLY my problem as well!

Both sets just ooze excellence, but I can't decide which way to pull the trigger.

Your comment about off-axis performance is possibly the decision maker, however.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
This is EXACTLY my problem as well!

Both sets just ooze excellence, but I can't decide which way to pull the trigger.

Your comment about off-axis performance is possibly the decision maker, however.
Like I said, I've never heard either set. But it's good to know what type of sound you like. If you can't audition these speakers yourself, you'll just have to make an educated guess on which ones will work best. Just make sure that you take all things into consideration. The way you install the speakers will make a difference as to which set you pick.

If it was me, again not having heard either set, i would pick the Pioneers. I think it's easier to tone down a harsh tweeter by installing them off axis, then it is to try to make a dull tweeter sparkle.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Yep, I'm thinking the same. My left tweeter is right below the window sill, as far forward as the door will allow (no A-pillar mounting, sadly.) That puts it at 50-55 deg. off axis from my left ear. My current tweeters swivel in their flush cups to improve the actual angle, but some tweets may not have this.

See for me, the installation of SI Mag v4's mean I can cross much higher, so that Alpine's lack of low end oomph may not effect me. The tweeter will, however.

Actually, my decision on a tweeter rests nearly 100% on how it integrates into the hole I've already made into the panel. Here's where it goes:

So, think the 720's, the PRO's, or something else in my case?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have heard/ installed some these speakes below

I like the pionners the tweets don't bother me

customer aske me to comapre some speakers this in my subjective opion, I am partal to diamond.

Entry level to good speakers
S500a - Diamond Audio HEX 5.25" W/Aluminum Tweeters
TS-C520PRS - Pioneer Premier 5.25"
Eclipse 5.25

Mid level
Alpine Type-X Pro Series 5.25
CXS52- Image Dynamics 5.25
S500s - Diamond Audio HEX 5.25" W/Silk Tweeters

Top of the line
ZR525-CSi - JL Audio 5.25"
130KP - Focal 5.25" PolyKevlar
RH-13.2 - Zapco 5.25" Reference
CK-13.2 - Zapco 5.25"

·
Registered
549 Posts
Not exactly the feedback you were after, but I've got the REF set of the Alpines and am looking to try the Pioneers. I've actually found the tweeter to be too tame on the REFs and am anxious to see if what others consider "harsh" is what I'm seeking in sound. THe plus I'll get with the Pioneers is a stronger midbass which might also help some sub integration troubles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have heard/ installed some these speakes below

I like the pionners the tweets don't bother me

customer aske me to comapre some speakers this in my subjective opion, I am partal to diamond.

Entry level to good speakers
S500a - Diamond Audio HEX 5.25" W/Aluminum Tweeters
TS-C520PRS - Pioneer Premier 5.25"
Eclipse 5.25

Mid level
Alpine Type-X Pro Series 5.25
CXS52- Image Dynamics 5.25
S500s - Diamond Audio HEX 5.25" W/Silk Tweeters

Top of the line
ZR525-CSi - JL Audio 5.25"
130KP - Focal 5.25" PolyKevlar
RH-13.2 - Zapco 5.25" Reference
CK-13.2 - Zapco 5.25"
How would you say the tweeters on the pioneer set compare to the HEX sets. I Have a set of HEX S600s that one of the tweeters went out on (which is why I am currently looking at new components) and quite frankly I didn't really care for em at all. IMO the tweeters were too overpowering (this was even with them mounted off-axis) and harsh when the volume was turned up. They also IMO lacked seriously in the low end. I did enjoy the midrange of the HEX set though.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Diamond is pretty much impossible to get anymore.
I've installed a few sets of Pioneer 720's and I like them alot. I have a set of them for myself...but I haven't installed them yet since I don't know if I want to put them in my current ride, or if I want to get something new.
I like them. In a dampened door, they have good midbass. They are a soft dome, which I prefer over an hard dome. And I couldn't beat the price (free).

The dealer I work for also carries the Alpine PRO's. I've only heard one set (it went in a car I didn't work on) and they sounded very good. I didn't get extended listening time so I can't really judge them much. The REF's sound horrible to me, tho.

Jay

·
Registered
393 Posts
How would you say the tweeters on the pioneer set compare to the HEX sets. I Have a set of HEX S600s that one of the tweeters went out on (which is why I am currently looking at new components) and quite frankly I didn't really care for em at all. IMO the tweeters were too overpowering (this was even with them mounted off-axis) and harsh when the volume was turned up. They also IMO lacked seriously in the low end. I did enjoy the midrange of the HEX set though.

Honestly they can take more power than pioners, but their SQ is less thats why they are in the same range,

But like i said tweets don't realy bother me mostly beacue of the music i listen to, But yeah than can be a bit hard when listing to a good singer or clasiacl music But this could be fixed via active system, or EQ'ing

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've only listened to the Pioneer set for about 15 minutes at a meet during the middle of the summer in a car with the AC running so it wasnt a very good auction.

I own the Alpine set and have had it installed in my car for about 2 weeks now. For all that think this set lacks midbass, it does not. The midbass may not be very pronounced below 70hz or so but doesn't mean it lacks midbass. The midbass is very good, accurate and precise. I have mine crossed at 70/12db it pounds like crazy, and blends in well with my sub.The midrange is smooth, the top end is excellent. I love the tweeters. You can run those off axis the passive crossovers have modules that cater to all different locations from off axis down on the bottom of the door panels to kick panels. My tweeters are in the sail panels, and woofers in the door. I used the recommended module for those locations and my imaging is dead center without using time alignment which is pretty sweet. That passive crossover is a work of art, very sophisticated and effective.

Both have their pros and cons. The pioneers cost around $225 a set, while the alpines cost around $335 but the passive crossover is tunable. It's a give and take.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
And what about those who have active processing and intend to use it?

AKA me.

3sixty.2 in this case.

BTW, does the Pioneer OR alpine we're working on here have swivel mounts for the flush cup?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts