DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have A US AMP TU4360 4ch tube amp I love, but I have a chance to pick up a planet audio HVT 754 tube, which was made by Zed Audio .Love Zed.

I was wandering if anyone had owned both at one time or another and which one they thought was better.

Thanks

Paul C

·
Registered
781 Posts
Neither are true tube amps. The older US Amps AXTU are more popular than the newer ones. I have a newer one and dislike it. You will find more love here for the PA HVT amps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither are true tube amps. The older US Amps AXTU are more popular than the newer ones. I have a newer one and dislike it. You will find more love here for the PA HVT amps.
No offense.. I'm a tube fanatic. I know they're hybrids, But like my home situation started with a tube preamp and a solid state amp (like these car amps) and my new world of music opened up...

Just want to know if anyone owned both amps at one time at what they thought...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

My US amp is the older one The TU 4360 not the 4360c

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for your input..I thought since Zed designed it the PA HVT might have a bigger following..

Take Care

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thanks for your input..I thought since Zed designed it the PA HVT might have a bigger following..

Take Care
I am pretty sure Kelvin ( subwoofery ) had an AXTU4360 reconditioned by Zed. Perhaps he can chime in here. I did own a HVT754 about 11 years ago. It was a nice clean amp, but I cannot say that it opened up anything for me. The tube debate has been hammered out here many times. At the end of the day I love the sound of a tube amp for guitars, but not sure I buy into the cost / performance in the car audio world.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I am pretty sure Kelvin ( subwoofery ) had an AXTU4360 reconditioned by Zed. Perhaps he can chime in here. I did own a HVT754 about 11 years ago. It was a nice clean amp, but I cannot say that it opened up anything for me. The tube debate has been hammered out here many times. At the end of the day I love the sound of a tube amp for guitars, but not sure I buy into the cost / performance in the car audio world.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/sales-feedback-forum/79892-mr-mantz-steven.html
Upgraded TU by Mantz. :cool:

I know I haven't written a review but I did do some extensive listenning and the new design is really better than the original.
I did compare both amps on my friend's sound board. Speakers used were MB Quart QSF 216 Nano (I'm used to Focal tweets so I needed something "revealling" :rolleyes:).
Regarding the bass & midbass, no improvement in impact and decay (original was already good in this department) but it now sounds fuller, seemed to drop lower even though it doesn't.
Lower midrange to Higher midrange is natural and palpable. Less coloration compared to the original. Control & articulation is similar
Low to mid tremble is smooth. Slightly less screechy compared to the original.
Extreme tremble is extended and delicate. Definitely more open compared to the original.

Sound is smoother overall, more stable, aliveness is the same. Involvement and palpable are best to describe the sound of the TU-4360 (old and upgraded).

I paid $275 for upgrades + shipping to Zed and back. Upgrades worth it? Hell yeah!!!

Hope that helps a bit,
Best regards,
Kelvin

PS: never used the HVT, don't plan to TBH. I'm sure it's a good amp but I'm gonna stick with my US Amp ;)

·
Registered
781 Posts
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/sales-feedback-forum/79892-mr-mantz-steven.html
Upgraded TU by Mantz. :cool:

I know I haven't written a review but I did do some extensive listenning and the new design is really better than the original.
I did compare both amps on my friend's sound board. Speakers used were MB Quart QSF 216 Nano (I'm used to Focal tweets so I needed something "revealling" :rolleyes:).
Regarding the bass & midbass, no improvement in impact and decay (original was already good in this department) but it now sounds fuller, seemed to drop lower even though it doesn't.
Lower midrange to Higher midrange is natural and palpable. Less coloration compared to the original. Control & articulation is similar
Low to mid tremble is smooth. Slightly less screechy compared to the original.
Extreme tremble is extended and delicate. Definitely more open compared to the original.

Sound is smoother overall, more stable, aliveness is the same. Involvement and palpable are best to describe the sound of the TU-4360 (old and upgraded).

I paid $275 for upgrades + shipping to Zed and back. Upgrades worth it? Hell yeah!!!

Hope that helps a bit,
Best regards,
Kelvin

PS: never used the HVT, don't plan to TBH. I'm sure it's a good amp but I'm gonna stick with my US Amp ;)
Thanx Kelvin. I was curious as to what upgrades Mantz did and how you liked them. Appreciate the update! Hopefully this helps the OP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts