DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here but I've read many threads/post here for a while now.

I am building a system in my 2003 Merc C Class Sedan (W203).

I am about to do the following and I would appreciate some advice/help.

Deck/Head Unit: Still deciding between: Eclipse 8053 (from my old car) or Eclipse 5030 (for the bluetooth) ($320).
Front: Morel Elate 2-Way in Stock Tweet/Driver locations. ($750)
Front Amp(s): 2 x Tube Driver Blue 275 (bridged into mono), 1 per channel - resulting in 2 x 250W(claimed) - (I already own these amps)

Subwoofer and Sub Amp: Morel Ultimo 12 SC (Sealed box 1.25 cu ft) ($500) with Tube Driver Blue 2150 (I already own it) (bridged to mono) 500W (4 ohms).

Alternate Sub amp: Alpine PDX-M6 (600W 4ohm) Class D ($350)

I am open to alternative suggestions (with any of it) but I would like to not overextend my budget.

My key question is:
Will the Tube Driver Blue 2150 make a good subwoofer amp for the Morel Ultimo 12 SC?

I welcome advice and opinions from anyone and everyone with experience and expertise. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used to run these amps. Had the 2150 and the475. I never ran either on a sub but I read that they weren't the best amps for subs. Something about the slew rate or something. Not that it wouldn't work, it just might not sound as good as some other 500 Watt amp. I ran my 2150 to a pair of dynaudio 7" mids and it sounded great. Tons of power. Sucks they don't have xovers tho.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Actually, slew rate would be less important for subs as compared to mids/tweets at equal power levels. With higher frequencies, you need the voltage to raise faster, which means a higher slew rate requirement. On the other hand, amplifiers with slew rates that are too high can oscillate, but I don't think you will have that problem with any decent audio amplifier (unless it is in need of repair).

That said, I personally can't stand tubes... but to each his own...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the help so far guys. I am still quite undecided. I am thinking that selling the TDB 2150 would allow me to buy an Alpine PDX M6 and be left with spare cash.

What about thoughts on the Alpine PDX M6 to drive the Morel Ultimo 12 SC?

Are there better alternatives for a similar price or slightly more money?

ZAPCO I-FORCE I1200.1 any good?

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Is it the actual amplifier you are worried about, or the 500 watts? I run 500 to mine, and it is absolutely wonderful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A bit of both. I was mainly wondering about the amp but it is good to know that 500W will run it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts