Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it would make my space issue easier and i need one for my aura 10

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well. I found one and its lighter than 3/4 mdf and I guess it strong enough. Just havnt ever used one

·
Registered
633 Posts
A friend of mine from the forum made a dual (side-by-side) tube enclosure for his two JL 8w7s that had crazy reinforced MDF exoskeleton systems on the outside...i'm not sure why they were there but it looked awesome/hilarious. We tested it in my car and they sounded great! Those were made from the concrete form tubes.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Well a cylinder is one of the most structurally sound objects and will resist deformation and flexing to a very high degree very well. It would be even stronger if you wrapped it in resin and fiberglass cloth, and maybe on the inside as well. If it can hold tons of concrete, it will probably hold some air too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
^^^ There we go, I was thinking about the same thing for the 1138 or 1139. In fact, I'm thinking about doing a 2-way with Dayton rs100's mounted in the dash in pvc enclosures and one or two TB 1138's or 1139's in pvc up front under the dash so I don't have to deal with all of the door treatments. Maybe a pair of tweets up front too if the rs100's don't do well all the way up.;)

I'm curious how you mounted the 1139 as I found the 1138 would fit with a small bit of shaving and a baffle into 5" PVC. Did you find larger than 5" pvc for the 1139?

To the OP ... good enough for Seigfried Linkwitz!

Pluto introduction

:D

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
The PVC pipe is 6". I used an MDF ring to mount the woofer and used gorilla glue to glue the MDF ring to the PVC pipe.

Here it is:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Haha, I figured there was another size to go to! Do you know how many cubes and low do you think she goes? And do you think one's enough or have you thought of going stereo? :)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool...thanks guys....I will find one I like and go for it...and ....search for sonotube

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once his post count gets up there he'll know how to search :surprised:
haha....I actually read the how to articles a long time ago...I got a 5 month old baby boy..I dont have that kind of time...I need to buy a pre-made..which I got a few choices already

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have searched for "sonotube" and have found many threads discussing it and one guy said he has heard one but it did not produce lower than 40hz. i have not found any other specs or pictures of peoples sonotube enclosures, can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Haha, I figured there was another size to go to! Do you know how many cubes and low do you think she goes? And do you think one's enough or have you thought of going stereo? :)
It's about .23 ft3 and it's stuffed with polyfill. I'm not sure how low it goes, being sealed, I'm sure it can get low, but doubt there's a lot of output way down there.

Honestly, just one fills in the bottom end in the Jeep pretty good. It won't turn heads or rattle windows or anything, but it's pretty respectable for just 1 6.5". I have two of those subs, but I really only have room for one since I didn't want to take up any storage space. Where it is in the passenger side foot well, you still have plenty of leg room in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
i have searched for "sonotube" and have found many threads discussing it and one guy said he has heard one but it did not produce lower than 40hz. i have not found any other specs or pictures of peoples sonotube enclosures, can anyone point me in the right direction?
There's no reason it wouldn't go lower than 40hz. It's just a sealed enclosure, no different than a square box made out of wood.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you want to account for wall thickness as well:
V = (pi * r^2 * h) - (2pi * r * h + 2pi * r^2)(thickness)
sorry it looks a little long, it really just looks that way because of how it's typed

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I've built them ported on many occasions. It's simply a cylindrical enclosure. I find them very easy to work with, since I have terrible woodworking skills.....and a severe lack of patience.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts