DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2016 Jeep Renegade
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody trying out the new features in the new Tun 4 software. I downloaded but haven't had a chance to play around yet.

· Registered
1,146 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
There is a live TuN 4 setup training today (November 28th) at 4 pm on the JL Audio Facebook page. It will also be uploaded to the JL Audio YouTube page in a few days.

We also have some Tech Notes here:https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/360010599074-TüN-4-MAX-Measurement-System

And the TuN web page here: Discover TüN™ 4.0 - JL Audio’s DSP tuning software

I hope that helps!

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
Hi Manville.

Thanks for the info. I tried watching the video tonight. Facebook decided to cut me off at about the middle of it or so since I wasn't logged in. I don't do facebook at all. If JL just set up these videos straight to youtube I'd be a happy camper. Or, just post them up on your own site.

Can I bug ya with a question?

My vxi amp in one of my vehicles is equipped with the BTC communicator widget. Before Tun4 I'd been tuning wirelessly with an ipad. (which was/is awesome) Will the BTC also allow my pc laptop to do the same with tun4?

I'm looking forward to being able to see the entire video posted up today. I'm hoping that will help me get set up with my existing mic ( @GotFrogs UMI-1 )

Thx,

Jake

· Registered
34 Posts
Did someone already know how much the MAX will cost?
Certainly not intended for the enthusiast @ something like $3500.

Even in the hands of a local shop; I'd be VERY skeptical whether the person wielding it really knew what they were doing. I'll stick to tuning myself.

An offering from JL in this department meant for the enthusiast would go a LOOOONG way methinks. Perhaps a simpler twin mic deal for driver and passenger positions? Just brainstoming here...

· Registered
1,146 Posts
Hi Manville.

Thanks for the info. I tried watching the video tonight. Facebook decided to cut me off at about the middle of it or so since I wasn't logged in. I don't do facebook at all. If JL just set up these videos straight to youtube I'd be a happy camper. Or, just post them up on your own site.

Can I bug ya with a question?

My vxi amp in one of my vehicles is equipped with the BTC communicator widget. Before Tun4 I'd been tuning wirelessly with an ipad. (which was/is awesome) Will the BTC also allow my pc laptop to do the same with tun4?

I'm looking forward to being able to see the entire video posted up today. I'm hoping that will help me get set up with my existing mic ( @GotFrogs UMI-1 )

Thx,

Jake
Hi, Jake... sorry you got cut off from the video feed. We will upload that and future training videos to our YouTube channel so you can watch them after the live event.

The iPad Software is called TuN Mobile and it does not have any of TuN 4's measurement functionality. There is a new version of TuN Mobile which allows for some more boost/cut range in the EQ's and higher Q's to be selected. Make sure you download that update to your iPad (from the app store). If you use TuN 4 and access any of the increased range, you will run into issues with TuN Mobile if you were to connect it.

TuN 4 only runs on PC and Mac computers. You could run TuN 4 on a PC or Mac in "Measure Only" mode and tune with your iPad and TuN Mobile, but you would be missing out on all the VXi integrations that are built into TuN 4, which requires a USB connection to the VXi and another to the microphone. I think you will find that tuning with TuN 4 on your laptop provides the best overall functionality and usability.

· Registered
1,146 Posts
Certainly not intended for the enthusiast @ something like $3500.

Even in the hands of a local shop; I'd be VERY skeptical whether the person wielding it really knew what they were doing. I'll stick to tuning myself.

An offering from JL in this department meant for the enthusiast would go a LOOOONG way methinks. Perhaps a simpler twin mic deal for driver and passenger positions? Just brainstoming here...
Appreciate the suggestion. Maybe someday we'll have a "Lite" version, but for now MAX is sold as a complete five mic system.

We realize MAX is not cheap, and that's because it's not cheap. :) Compared to other test gear of equivalent quality it is very well priced, especially when you consider that the software to run it is free.

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking forward to kicking the tires on TUN4, hopefully sometime later on today... 🤞 It'll be interesting to see how this turns out compared to recent work I've been doing with REW to continue to dial in some GS25 widebands I have in my front dash corners. I've got my target curve all dialed in and ready to rock and if it all works out, it should be pretty quick if I'm working off of live data the way they demo'ed in the last video. It'll just take me a moment to get the UMIK-1 input matching up, level-wise, with the target curve in TUN4. When I was tinkering with it on my computer speakers playing pink noise, I definitely had to boost it quite a bit to get it lined up. I see they have log sweep wav files included by default, though the use of those hasn't yet been demo'ed. Looking forward to the future videos, it's great that they're doing these.

I'm excited to have all of this in a single pane of glass. I hope that in the future it could handle the networked setups with multiple VXi's cleanly and take in a mic calibration file, if you have one. Heck, being able to handle multiple USB mics, maybe? I'll have to check in with my local shop to see if they will be nabbing a MAX, but I doubt it.

I noticed that cuts can go deeper than -12 now. Love the easy copying of EQs. Some good UI improvements in there, though there are some others that I would welcome, such as consolidating the various settings/preferences into one area within Tun to reduce confusion. When I want to tweak a setting, I always find myself clicking the wrong option, between the gear, the wrench, and now we have settings within the Measure tab for an additional spot to squirrel things away.

· Registered
83 Posts
I have a TWK 88. I connected my mic, set the gain to 75db. Mic was registering sound just fine. Loaded my target curves and started with left tweeter. Enabled left tweeter in another TUN window for TWK 88. My problem is that I am stuck in target mode. Measure tab does not show the speaker icon or the output tab in the right panel. I do not see any outputs. I can not do any auto equing because I am stuck in target mode for some reason.

· Registered
83 Posts
Yes, I am in measure only mode. Hmm. I was pretty sure in the learning session yesterday, that auto tuning was capable with any DSP. You just have to take the numbers and transfer them by hand into TUN...but since I am stuck in target mode, I do not get the options for auto tuning in the eq panel. Maybe I missed something?

· Registered
83 Posts
I copied over my set up into a vxi 8 sim mode. I will give it a go.

I could not get it to work right. It only move one band on the eq. My tweeter signal was close to the target curve, but it did not calculate to match the target curve. I will try again tomorrow.

· Registered
7 Posts
I gave the Autoset EQ feature a go, but not taking in the mic's calibration file has me thinking this is way off. I nailed the curve very quickly, but it sounds quite wrong. I know I had the midbass dialed in before on my other preset and now they are cut too far in the new one I was experimenting in with Autoset EQ. I think I'll need to stick to REW for now, which is a real shame. Hopefully mic calibration file support is in the works! This has some real potential.

I'm going to take a measurement in REW of what the autoset curve looks like to try and get an idea of how far it is off and where. Will be interesting to see.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.