DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'17 Tundra. 40 years ago I would have installed the best of the best components- but in doing so back then.....my hearing isn't as good now ?

Stock system has full-range 6.5 in rear door, 6x9 full-range in front door, 3" full-range in dash corners, and a 3" full-range in dash center. All factory speakers are terrible! There is an anemic 4-channel amp driving the door speakers, and the factory HU driving the 3 dash speakers.

My goal is to upgrade all the current speakers, upgrade the 4-channel amp, and keep the fronts running on the factory HU No sub. No DSP.

I've narrowed down the 6x9 to CDT 2 ohm CT-69S. I'll probably run those full-range, but am open-minded. I'd consider the GS690, but am unsure if the price difference is warranted considering no DSP

Rear door aren't a big concern as they are fill only. I may even leave the $5 factory ones in there

I don't want to compromise on the 3 dash speakers. I love nice mids/vocals, and the front soundstage is greatly lacking now. I really need help selecting these. I've been reading nice things about the AF GS-25, Scanspeak 10F (not sure they'll fit), and the Morel CCWR254 for dash sides. What about the center? I briefly considered the CDT ES-03DVC dual voice coil for wiring simplicity, but has a pretty narrow freq band.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a tundra as well. Just in case it is of interest, here is the current build. I went with Morel speakers which sounded great passive (currently active). The one think I'm drilling into is the amount of midbass. It seems to be lacking a bit, but it could be install related.

Headunit:
Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX

Front stage:
Morel hybrid 602 + morel elate mids (cdm880)

Rear fill:
Morel hybrid 6.5

Amps:
2 Addictive Audio p13.4 amps for 8 speakers
DC audio D2.0k mono amp - for DC 12"
DD audio DM1000 mono amp - for JL 10s

Subs:
DC audio 12" XL Elite sub in a custom enclosure (quick release box there when back seat is folded up)
2 JL 10TW3 subs behind rear seats in a ported box (behind back seat, so if I need the space I can remove the DC sub and these do the job)

Dsp:
Helix Ultra + Director's remote

Other:
Hushmat on doors, rear wall and headliner
CES 370amp alternator
Big 3 upgrade
Full throttle battery under hood + 2nd under back seat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, very impressive! I just finished looking up your various components. Couple of questions: Did the 602 tweeters fit the stock sail panel openings, or did you drill them out and surface mount? Also the CDM880 - did they fit without extensive modifications?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I started with the tweeters in the dash. Then I bought a pair of tundra sail panels from tech12volts.com with tweeter mounts ($60 I believe), they fit in there perfect.

The cdm880s fit after removing their speaker grill and a little bending of the tundra dash bracket. I didn't do the install, but the installer showed me what he did and it wasn't too extensive.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a tundra as well and have gone through many revisions and tweaks over the last 4 years.

Scanspeak 10f’s work pretty nicely in the dash. I’m using a Sinfoni t25t in the sail panel that I just ordered from my local Toyota dealer. I thing it was $30 for the pair. I’ve done multiple midbass’s started with Jbl gti 660, than Illusion c8 which was a very nice upgrade. Finally ending up with JL ZR800 game changer. Had to modify the door panels but IMO fully worth it. Also the latest upgrade I did was upgrade my 10f’s to the Audio Frog GB25 in the dash

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice. What are you doing for subs? Also, what amps are you using?

I'm putting Dynaudio 430s in the dash next week and Dynaudio 650s in the doors. I've heard great things about the JLzr800. Depending on how I like the Dynaudio 650s, I may try Audiofrog GB60s instead in the doors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Kenwood DNX573S >> Helix DSP PRO
Tru Technology B475 Stage 4, Sinfoni t25, Audiofrog GB25
Mosconi AS200.4 >> Jl Audio ZR800
Mosconi AS200.4 >> Rear Fill JBL 660gti
Boston Acoustics GT28 > 1 Adire Audio Brahma 12 Ported

·
Registered
75 Posts
You’ll love the 650’s one of the best in the market.
I had 2 sundown sds 10’s under the seat and they were ok. I never have passengers if so I may have just my wife. If I need to I could easily remove the enclosure. I have a Double Cab and I just flip up the small seat side. I got small shallow subs are not for me. The one 12 ported is much better and easier to blend with the front stage. Also i found that that the passenger side with the sub facing the door gave the best response.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice setup. Do you have the brahma on the rear seat floor? I'm looking into moving my rear bench seat forward 1-2", so I can fit 2 GB12s back there.

Right now I have 2 JL 10tw3s behind the rear seat. They sound decent, but I'd like a bit more output.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also used a ton of soundskins pro on my doors over a roll on each door. The door panels need a ton of reinforcement. Especially going to the ZR800 they thump mid-bass for days. The GB60 or the E650 will need some serious deadening as well

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, but I have a baby at times in the back seat. If I dont move the rear seat forward, I may remove the 40% seat and put a custom enclosure there. Either way, I'd like to incorporate full size subs as well. Shallow mounts are okay, but leave a bit to be desired.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've got one layer of hushmat on all doors, the rear wall and headliner. I'm going to have polyethylene brackets made for the doors and will see what else the installer recommends.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also completely sealed all the openings with a sheet of abs plastic and covered it with deadening. Probably complete overkill but honestly that door panel is super easy to take off. The clips are very fragile but you can replacements on amazon.

Love to hear your feedback on the 650’s. On my other car I would love to put those in but it’s not a car I really want to tear into. My Tundra is my beater lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm really enjoying reading about your systems. Mine will be quite a bit more modest. I'm going with AF GS690s in the front doors, and AF GS25 in the dash corners. Haven't decided what to do about the dash center yet - I am currently using a Tech12Volts bracket with 2 cross-fired JL C1 tweeters in it. I was really dubious about installing it, but they actually center the front sound stage nicely. I may just install some better tweeters in the same location. Nothing in the sails, and no sub. I did all that years ago, and just want something better sounding than the factory setup.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would leave that out don’t need it. Gs690 I hear are very nice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tweeters in the sails is an easy instal just order the tundra platinum sail panels for your local dealer you’ll need to do very little modification to them and they is the best location that I have found

·
Registered
140 Posts
You can also get the sail panels from tech12volts.com that have tweeter mounts in them.

I haven't heard the AF GS690, but I've been told they are awesone.

I have a morel hybrid integra 4" speaker that I bought for the center channel, but decided not to use it. It's a nice speaker, but I decided to go with a dsp and active setup instead. I dont think you need a center channel either, but if you are interested I'll sell it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts