DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hate idling my car for 3 hours at a time lol. do any of you have an alternative way of keeping the system on without draining the battery? i have a 12volt jump box i’m thinking about just leaving turned on and connected to the battery? any ideas appreciated

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery charger

Alternatively, you can take all your measurements and go back inside to analyze them. Take 10 minutes to get everything and then go elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
yeah i’ve kinda been doing that i’m tired of getting in and out of the car to re measure haha. is there a battery charger that you suggest or have used?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wish I had one, my friends dad is a retired diesel mechanic and he has some VERY nice snap on chargers he lets me use when I need them.

I will say this, if you have an AGM battery, be careful of a charger you get. They can be fickle and get overcharged depending on the charger.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wish I had one, my friends dad is a retired diesel mechanic and he has some VERY nice snap on chargers he lets me use when I need them.

I will say this, if you have an AGM battery, be careful of a charger you get. They can be fickle and get overcharged depending on the charger.

lucky i need a good mechanic friend lol
thanks for your input and help dude!

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
yeah i’ve kinda been doing that i’m tired of getting in and out of the car to re measure haha. is there a battery charger that you suggest or have used?
Look at NOCO smart chargers, get one with enough amperage for your entire system's idle current draw.

Reactions: savedbythesmell

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
awesome! thanks dude the walmart near me has them in stock. so you just keep it attached to the battery while you tune?
They're cheap and they work, but not as long as a better charger will, mine crapped out after about a year, the NOCO smart charger is still going after 2 years.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
View attachment 306726 this ones a 10 amp, what do you think

and do you just leave it plugged in and connected to the battery while tuning? it won’t overcharge or fry amps?
That's why you want a "smart" charger, just hook it up and tune. Ten amps should be plenty for your system.
I use a G7200, it's an older 7.2 amp, it's a little deficient for my system (9 amp idle current draw), but it gets me by.

Reactions: savedbythesmell

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is what I use. Works great, actually bought it for the sole purpose of tuning my truck but now have used it for conditioning friend's batteries and charging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
I use these DC power supplies from HP, I have a couple of them. They run at 12.9V-13.0V and they can supply 75A ea and they are 94% efficient.
I agree you don't need a huge amount of current, but I think that 10A might be a little small.

These are used in servers and for bitcoin mining, but they work great as benchtop supplies too.

hm maybe 700 watts full tilt
Helix V8 dsp amp 75w x 8
sub pulls 150w itself

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use these DC power supplies from HP, I have a couple of them. They run at 12.9V-13.0V and they can supply 75A ea and they are 94% efficient.
I agree you don't need a huge amount of current, but I think that 10A might be a little small.

These are used in servers and for bitcoin mining, but they work great as benchtop supplies too.
okay yeah i’ve looked at a few power supplies and am completely lost on how you would connect that. is the car battery just completely removed from the equation?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's why you want a "smart" charger, just hook it up and tune. Ten amps should be plenty for your system.
I use a G7200, it's an older 7.2 amp, it's a little deficient for my system (9 amp idle current draw), but it gets me by.
awesome thank you for your input dude. you’ve given me some confidence in attaching some **** to my battery haha. i’m gonna give the G10 a shot

·
Banned
15 Posts
i hate idling my car for 3 hours at a time lol. do any of you have an alternative way of keeping the system on without draining the battery? i have a 12volt jump box i’m thinking about just leaving turned on and connected to the battery? any ideas appreciated
When using a battery charger on your battery while tuning your system check the voltage to make sure it doesn't exceed your amplifier specs. Also make sure the type of battery you have is capable of charged by the charger some chargers won't charge AGM batteries. I will look for a higher amperage charger or something in the marine department that charges multiple types of batteries in a high amperage fast charge setting. Prepare to spend some money but you'll have a great charger from going forward if not a regulated power supply , which is pretty pricey but very effective if you do it often or as a regular thing otherwise I wouldn't spend the money on one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts