DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently got my system all set up, Alpine type R 10inch, Alpine MRX-M110, and Pioneer AVH-x5700bhs. I initially used the tuning page on crutchfeild to set up my gain, and LPF. However my deck has LPF built into it, and crossovers along with HPF, LPF and couple other settings for my mids and highs. Should I tune with my deck and not my amp? Anyone have a tuing procedure they would recommend for SQ? This is all wired into my 07 RX8 with BOSE system. Any input is greatly appreciated!

P.S. - my amp also has a subsonic filter but i'm unsure what to set it at, my understanding is that it filters out frequencies too low for the subwoofer to handle thus protecting the sub from damage?

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Tuning is a pretty broad word, what are you specifically looking to tune?

As for your question on the SSF...if you have a ported box you set it about 1/2 octave below the tuning freq. If you have a sealed box you turn it off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i'm wanting to get the best SQ out of my system using my headunit settings and my amplifier settings. my main question is should I use only my headunit settings(LPF, crossovers) or only my amplifier (LPF, bass boost, subsonic, gain)? I understand that I need to set the gain on my amp even if I use my headunits LPF

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Well i'm wanting to get the best SQ out of my system using my headunit settings and my amplifier settings. my main question is should I use only my headunit settings(LPF, crossovers) or only my amplifier (LPF, bass boost, subsonic, gain)? I understand that I need to set the gain on my amp even if I use my headunits LPF
Its going to be more convenient to work with your HU. So i would set the LP filter on the amp to the highest point it can be set at, and set any bass boost to the lowest point possible.

But if i was going to be using the SSF, i would set that at the amp, and then turn it off on your HU. Reason for that is once you set it you dont need to ever touch it again. Setting it on your HU you may accidentally turn it off. So use the amp for that.

So gains and SSF on the amp. crossover and bass EQ on the HU.

Just my opinion though...there is not really any right or wrong answer here.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
As MiniSQ points out, its easier to centralize all the setup to the head unit. That Pioneer unit has a pretty solid set of "tuning" parameters, including a fairly reasonable Time Alignment function. It can definitely be confusing with all the filters/xovers, etc.

You have to pick one place to do most of your setup, so I'd start with the head unit. On the amps, you may not need to do anything other than straight through (no filters), and do all the setup on the head. As far as the subsonic, you can look at the Sub specs, and approximate the low end on the subsonic filter setup, but nothing bad will happen if you don't do it perfectly.

Just make sure you don't try and set things like Xovers/filters etc in both the amps and the head unit, as then they can end up in conflict, where one restricts the other and it doesn't sound as good as it can.

Personally, I only use filters on the amps if the head unit has no real functionality. I'd rather use the head unit and make the amps just amps whenever possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts