i am running a jvc 840 deck

rainbow germanium 6.5 with a sundown 100.4 amp

2 12 subwoofer sundown 1200 amp

i need help with the 4 channel setting and crossover

channel 1/2 tweeter
channel 3/4 is the 6.5 speaker

what is the setting on the amp for the tweeter and the 6.5 componenet speaker

gain

also do i leave setting on deck flat the whole time? Or Leave flat until setting on amp is set than set my eq on the deck?

what a good starting point?
tweeter
HPF/FULL/LPF Selectable Switch
Subsonic Filter : 10Hz ~ 500Hz

6.5 componet speaker
HPF/FULL/LPF Selectable Switch
Subsonic Filter : 10Hz ~ 500Hz

·
Registered
140 Posts
Whoa.
That is way too much for my eyes.

My 2¢:
Leave the deck flat.
HP with 0 gain on the tweets.
It might be full for the mids with subsonic around 200-500hz.
Turn the deck up.
Turn the mid gains up first to see if you're crossed over right.
Turn the tweet gains up to complement them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Turn the mid gains up first to see if you're crossed over right. how will i know if i a am crossed right

what i set the hz for the tweeter?
subsonic?

soo turn the subsonic about half way?
what about the other hz ?

there 2 different hz for each one one that next to the gain and the other to the hpf or the lpf?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Assuming you have the crossovers for them,
Run both at full range and set your gains to your deck at 75% volume.

Edit: Wired appropriately through the crossovers, of course.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I would try bridging the amp and using the passive crossovers first. That will give you more power and headroom from the amp. As stated above you can also bi-amp using the passive crossovers. I would try that also.

If you are still not satisfied then I would start with the following crossover settings.

Sub - 80 Hz LPF (Subsonic depends on tuning freq if you are using a ported box, with sealed it is not as critical)
Mids - 3.5 KHz 12 dB LPF with 80 Hz subsonic filter
Tweeters - 3.5 KHz HPF

Per the documentation I saw on the Germaniums the tweeters are crossed over at 2.2 KHz which is pretty low. I think I would try 3.5 KHz and adjust up or down from there.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would try bridging the amp and using the passive crossovers first. That will give you more power and headroom from the amp. As stated above you can also bi-amp using the passive crossovers. I would try that also.

If you are still not satisfied then I would start with the following crossover settings.

Sub - 80 Hz LPF (Subsonic depends on tuning freq if you are using a ported box, with sealed it is not as critical)
Tweeters - 3.5 KHz HPF

Per the documentation I saw on the Germaniums the tweeters are crossed over at 2.2 KHz which is pretty low. I think I would try 3.5 KHz and adjust up or down from there.

what the difference between the subsonicfilter hz and the hz on the lpf? there is 2 diff one on the amp?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The subsonic filter is just another high pass filter. It is used to block extreme low freq from your subs, or in case of midbass to set up a band pass filter. I am not familier with that amp but I assume you can use a low pass and subsonic filter on the same channel. If not then it would still be OK if you have the sub crossover set on the head unit.

For instance if you set the subsonic filter for 80 hz and the LPF to 3 KHz on the same channel it sets up a band pass from 80 hz to 3KHz.

You will need to consult the owners manual for specific settings and capabilities of your amplifier.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Sorry I see that there is a crossover and subsonic per pair of channels. I can't see if there is a way to sum the inputs to a single input. If not you will need y-cable adapters to split the L/R RCA inputs to their respective channels.

Also to answer your question on the deck leave it flat until you get the crossovers on the amps set. You can use the deck sub out if you want, and I would suggest you do. You want to get the sound as close to your preferences using good installation techniques before using EQ to fine tune the sound.

You set the subsonic filter freq to the high pass for the mids. I suggest 80 Hz to start. All frequencies below 80 Hz will be attenuated by the subsonic filer effectively limiting the low freq cutoff of the mids. For the tweeters it really doesn't matter.

My original advice still stands.

Channels 1&2 Tweeters - Select HPF, knob set for 350 (manual may have some information on setting this accurately), 24 dB button in, 10x Button In, subsonic 500 Hz

Channels 3&4 Mids - Select LPF, knob set for 350 (manual may have some information on setting this accurately), 12 dB button out, 10x Button In, subsonic filter 80 Hz

Sub - 80 Hz LPF (Subsonic depends on tuning freq if you are using a ported box, with sealed it is not as critical) What kind of box are you planning for the subs?

Not to beat a dead horse but are you trying to go active just because your someone told you it is possible? I would strongly suggest you try the speakers with the amp bridged to the passive filters first. If you do not like the sound it is doubtful simply going active will make great improvements, and could sound worse.

The advantages of active setup lie in the ability to tune the sound using crossover points and amplifier gain. Without time alignment that is what you have to work with. Many times simplier is better, and just because you can do something does not mean you should. The questions you are asking indicate you are not experienced at setting up crossovers. Without someone to help tune the active crossovers, again I suggest sticking with the passive crossovers that come with the components. The Germaniums are a very high quality component set and the passive crossover is designed for those drivers.

Unless someone has experience with install in your specific car and equipment, we can only provide broad suggestions which I have tried to do here.

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I see that there is a crossover and subsonic per pair of channels. I can't see if there is a way to sum the inputs to a single input. If not you will need y-cable adapters to split the L/R RCA inputs to their respective channels.

Also to answer your question on the deck leave it flat until you get the crossovers on the amps set. You can use the deck sub out if you want, and I would suggest you do. You want to get the sound as close to your preferences using good installation techniques before using EQ to fine tune the sound.

You set the subsonic filter freq to the high pass for the mids. I suggest 80 Hz to start. All frequencies below 80 Hz will be attenuated by the subsonic filer effectively limiting the low freq cutoff of the mids. For the tweeters it really doesn't matter.

Channels 1&2 Tweeters - Select HPF, knob set for 350 (manual may have some information on setting this accurately), 24 dB button in, 10x Button In, subsonic 500 Hz

Channels 3&4 Mids - Select LPF, knob set for 350 (manual may have some information on setting this accurately), 12 dB button out, 10x Button In, subsonic filter 80 Hz

Sub - 80 Hz LPF (Subsonic depends on tuning freq if you are using a ported box, with sealed it is not as critical) What kind of box are you planning for the subs?

Not to beat a dead horse but are you trying to go active just because your someone told you it is possible? I would strongly suggest you try the speakers with the amp bridged to the passive filters first. If you do not like the sound it is doubtful simply going active will make great improvements, and could sound worse.

The advantages of active setup lie in the ability to tune the sound using crossover points and amplifier gain. Without time alignment that is what you have to work with. Many times simplier is better, and just because you can do something does not mean you should. The questions you are asking indicate you are not experienced at setting up crossovers. Without someone to help tune the active crossovers, again I suggest sticking with the passive crossovers that come with the components. The Germaniums are a very high quality component set and the passive crossover is designed for those drivers.

Unless someone has experience with install in your specific car and equipment, we can only provide broad suggestions which I have tried to do here.

Good luck,
Jim
my friend was supposed to help me but he has been busy

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Tweeters - 3.5 KHz HPF

the tuning only goes up to 500hz

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oic thanks for clearing that up

also where i start with the gain on my amps?

sub =halfways
mids =halfway
high =3/8

·
Registered
274 Posts
oic thanks for clearing that up

also where i start with the gain on my amps?

sub =halfways
mids =halfway
high =3/8

start with the mids
disconnect the tweets and sub
start with the mid gains all the way down and turn up until you hear distortion and then back the gains down a bit.

with the mids playing
tweeter gain all the way down SLOWLY increase gain until the tweets and mids are the same amplitude

with the mids and tweets playing
start with the sub gains all the way down and increase gains until the subs blend in with the mids.

this is a very simplified quick ear method of setting gains
This is a very simplified ear method of setting gains

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Good luck,
Jim
how do you know if it set at that freQ? can i use a dmm? what i connect it to?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts