DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks!

While I have been interested in audio equipment for many years, this is my first time doing a build with DSP.
Build log Here.

First, I'd like to give props to all you seasoned tuners! I consider myself to have a pretty good ear. And I already see this being difficult for me. But, if I wanted a turn-key system, I could have paid for it... I enjoy the build and I really enjoy learning something new. I have combed through many articles about tuning. I have a basic idea of what needs to be done. And, I have a solid understanding of the physics.

Before someone notices, I know I should wait until everything is installed to do a proper tune. This is a "Rolling Release" and I am just trying to tune a little bit right now.

One of my main issues is which road to take. Do I go with "old school" methods and have at it sitting in the truck and tweak by ear? Or, do I go ahead and buy a mic?

Also, does there happen to be anyone in the Shreveport, LA area that would be willing to help a newb out sometime? I'm not looking for someone to come do it for me. But, another set of ears and opinions would be helpful.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used my mic to equalize the gains to some extent and also to get a picture of the large deficiencies. Then tune to what sounded good.

There are plenty of charts and what not that can give you guidance based on what you are hearing. If you have a good ear they are helpful.

Here is one of many out there (I use a few different ones to fill in the holes, same info different format and terminology):

Of course you could go the other route and set a curve based on the mic..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Try it by ear first and save it. Then get a mic and learn to use REW. It sounds like you’ll enjoy the process and it will only help in getting things sounding their best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
There are a couple of major drawbacks to trying to do it by ear. The biggest is trying to get the left and right to match closely enough. Matching the left and right responses at the listening position is very important, and doing that by ear will not provide very reliable results.

·
Premium Member
2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I'm sure this is probably the wrong way to go about this. But, this is what I did:
I set gains, crossovers, and measured for delay. Then started with the mids and played with phase until I was happy with the soundstage. I then played with the tweeters until they blended into the soundstage. And did the same with the midbass until my kickdrums were solidly up on the center dash. I then ordered a UMIK-1:p

Kidding aside, I think I did a pretty good job with the tune by ear. I am happy with it as a starting point. But, I'd like to measure and see what it looks like.

-Jay

·
Registered
250 Posts
Also, does there happen to be anyone in the Shreveport, LA area that would be willing to help a newb out sometime? I'm not looking for someone to come do it for me. But, another set of ears and opinions would be helpful.
I've got a buddy in the Air Force that just recently transferred to Barksdale. I checked with him and he's willing to help you out. He's a good dude and has a mic and knows REW! He's got a killer system too - you gotta demo it. DM me your number and I'll pass it on. Dave

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Definitely get the mic and REW or you will just be messing around endlessly and get frustrated doing it. Flowing a proven tuning process is also key.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've got a buddy in the Air Force that just recently transferred to Barksdale. I checked with him and he's willing to help you out. He's a good dude and has a mic and knows REW! He's got a killer system too - you gotta demo it. DM me your number and I'll pass it on. Dave
Stationed at Barksdale in the 90's. Went by Shreveport a few years ago to catch up with old friends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts