DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an older Alpine from the 90s, MRV-F300.

The head unit I am considering has 4v out on the RCAs.

I've seen modern amps with input level controls, to detect and eliminate clipping coming from the head unit.

Since my old amp doesn't have such input controls, how can I properly tune the signal coming out of the source and into the amp?

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Play a sine and scope it, you will see the clipping when it starts. I'm not sure how an amp can eliminate clipping it would have to make its own source signal, but what do I know.

If your head clips its not that good, and if it clips you just have to not use that clipped louder signal. So you end up only running the HU to 80% or whatever safe level it can provide without clipping and set your gains around that, and hope some jerk does not drive your car and crank it way up.

In the old days we didn't have scopes, you just turn the amp gains way down and HU way up and listen for clipping. You can figure where it needs to be for a safe zone without clipping.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have an o-scope.

Back in the day, yeah, we tuned by ear. I'm told there are better methods these days, and that tuning by ear can still lead to clipping and distortion, essentially unheard.

Just trying to get the most out of an older amp, and don't want to damage any components.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts