DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, I add the caps, turn on pop, remove them, it goes away. Ive tried multiple amps, it does this with all 3 ive tried. Im assuming its the capacitors... I'm currently using these elna capacitors 33uf... see picture. Currently using dynaudio tweeters, I have a set of new Audiofrog GB15s im getting ready to install. Before I put them in I want to get some caps that dont cause a pop. Anyone using inline caps on GB15s or any other tweeters @ 4 ohms plz let me know what the brand & value of caps youre using. Im shooting for 1500hz or so, i think the 33uf at 4 ohm came out to like 1200hz or something around there.

Alternative option is to set the crossover/high pass on my amplifier (Rockford t400x4ad) to like 1000hz... its 12/db per octave so that might be a solid option since I will be crossing over around 2k to 2.5k on my dsp well above that... I just want to avoid damage to the new audiofrog tweeters with some sort of protection...All it takes is one screw up and they're toast.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
The caps should not cause a pop.
Are you sure it is from the tweeters?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Following this to see what the fix is. I just happened to read yesterday Andy's tech tip about putting a cap on tweeters.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Maybe try a different cap? Maybe get a 100v and see if it helps.

·
Registered
18,498 Posts
This tends to happen with certain amps. Also, use a non polarized cap. All else fails, use a fuse instead

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might be a combination of the caps and the tweeters but when I change the amp, the pop remains, and I’ve tried 3 amps. Arc x2 1200.6, Polk pa4000.4 (same as nvx jad/ppi), and now I’m using rockford t400x4ad. I remove the cap and no pop. So My best guess is it’s the cap. I guess I will try buying a few different brands of non polarized caps and see if any of them fix it.

I also have them only a few inches from the amp, not sure if that would change anything I know some people say to put them right next to the tweeters, and I’m doing the opposite with them only 6 inches from the amp.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This tends to happen with certain amps. Also, use a non polarized cap. All else fails, use a fuse instead

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I've used polarized caps, I seem to remember you need to have two in series with one wired backwards for it to work okay (or was it in parallel?). I only did that cause I was being cheap and didn't wanna buy more parts.

It's better just to use the right cap for the job.

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
It might be a combination of the caps and the tweeters but when I change the amp, the pop remains, and I’ve tried 3 amps. Arc x2 1200.6, Polk pa4000.4 (same as nvx jad/ppi), and now I’m using rockford t400x4ad. I remove the cap and no pop. So My best guess is it’s the cap. I guess I will try buying a few different brands of non polarized caps and see if any of them fix it.

I also have them only a few inches from the amp, not sure if that would change anything I know some people say to put them right next to the tweeters, and I’m doing the opposite with them only 6 inches from the amp.
All three amps ?

If you remove the cap and no pop, I guess that is solid detective result.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I installed non polarized capacitors on my GB15 and no issues but when I installed them on my GB10 in my truck I all of a sudden got the pop. The GB15 is run by a Pioneer PRS amplifier and the GB10 by a cheap D8604. It’s not bad enough for me to care though so I left it as is.

I'm curious about the fuse idea, I’ve seen this on a few home speakers.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed non polarized capacitors on my GB15 and no issues but when I installed them on my GB10 in my truck I all of a sudden got the pop. The GB15 is run by a Pioneer PRS amplifier and the GB10 by a cheap D8604. It’s not bad enough for me to care though so I left it as is.

I'm curious about the fuse idea, I’ve seen this on a few home speakers.

Do you remember what voltage you were using on the GB15s when they did not pop?

I'm going to get a few to try out and also try putting them right next to the tweeters instead of right by the amp.

I have never heard of the fuse thing, I'm going to check into that...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you still have the crossovers? They should get you around 2500hz 12db

Yes I do! I will have to look into modifying them they are higher than the crossover point im trying to do. I halfway blew one of the dyn tweeters (making some weird buzz noise) so I bought some GB 15's but have yet to hook them up yet. The woofers though, I dont think I could blow those if i tried. I tried some other woofers and ended up going back to the dynaudios. They are great woofers!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Crossing lower than 2500 probably made tweeter unhappy. I am not positive 2500 is correct may be worth looking into. Glad the woofers are working out

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, thats a possibility, I'm going to shoot for 2500 on the DSP and like 1500 on the passive protection. Thats why I'm trying to get this worked out so I dont burn up another tweeter. Yeah the MW162 woofers really came alive once i got my dayton DSP to do some adjusting. They are solid performers

·
Premium Member
3,821 Posts
Common issue w some class D amps. We have the issue in my wife's car using Arc 1200.6 amps.
Happened w the X2 amps as well.
I had the same issue...changed to Zapco AP amp. No pop.

And as you've noticed, if you remove the cap it goes away. As Nick said above, add a fuse.

Could also look into something like these

Arc and a few companies used to include them w Tweeters

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Common issue w some class D amps. We have the issue in my wife's car using Arc 1200.6 amps.
Happened w the X2 amps as well.
I had the same issue...changed to Zapco AP amp. No pop.

And as you've noticed, if you remove the cap it goes away. As Nick said above, add a fuse.

Could also look into something like these

Arc and a few companies used to include them w Tweeters
Oh yes, I have had so many interference/noise issues with class d amps. They have mostly all been fixable with little tweaks to my ground etc and worth the trade off in efficiency but the class A/B amps...Its just like hook up and Go, no problems. Honestly my favorite class D is my Rockford t400x4ad I just got a great deal on it refurbished. The noise floor is absolutely insane, its S/N Ratio is one of the highest ive seen when measured at 1 watt 4 ohm. I can have the gain turned up to 75% before i start hearing humm or hiss. And it seriously sounds like a class A/B. Warm, smooth. I really gotta give it to rockford on the compact power amps. I personally prefer it over the Arc X2. It does only have 4 channels but they are so small you can easily hook up two of them.

Im going to check out those protectors, never seen them before. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts