DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I would like to try the following "DIY" 2-way component speaker setup. The woofer will be the Hybrid Imagine I61-2 6-1/2 component woofer running directly off an amplifier channel with no crossover whatsoever. The tweeter will be one of these tweeters:

Alpine SPR-17S (already have)
Seas Neo Aluminum (already have)
Hybrid Imagine tweeter (will come with the woofer)
LPG aluminum tweeter sold by madisound?

The tweeter will be connected directly to an amplifier channel as well, but with a single capacitor inline in order to create a high pass filter with a 6dB slope at an appropriate frequency. The reason I want to go with such setup is that it will make it possible to match the levels as well as time align all the front stage speaker components as my head unit has time align capability on all 6 channels. The amplifier will be some kind of 5-channel amplifier, with 4-channels driving the Hybrid components and sub channel driving an Infinity Kappa subwoofer. (I am thinking of something cheap, like Boston Acoustics GTA 5-channel amp)

The first request is I would like to have this setup critiqued. If this is a bad idea, I would like to stop before I spend money and effort on it.

The next question I have, which small format tweeter should I use? The tweeter will be installed in sail pods. I prefer not to spend a lot of money, so I would like to use one of the tweeters I have listed above. One obvious choice is just to use the Hybrid Imagine tweeter. I have heard that this tweeter may sound harsh in component setup. However, this can be mitigated by adjusting the tweeter gains on the amplifier. That's one of the reasons I think I want to try this setup. However, should this tweeter not work well, I could also try the Alpine SPR-17S tweeter or Seas Neo aluminum tweeter. In my experience these two sound pretty close to each other, with Seas a little crisper on the higher end. Not a night and day difference at the end of day though. Finally, I have heard that the LPG tweeter that's sold cheaply by madisound is also a good tweeter for setups with relatively high crossover points. Please let me know what you think.

Regarding crossover point, would it make sense to move the tweeter crossover point lower than what's used by Hybrid speakers given that the tweeters will be time aligned and level matched with woofers (hopefully). I know the the Hybrid tweeter will not play very low, but the Seas aluminum tweeters can reportedly work well with lower crossover points.

Finally, would 70watt RMS channel be enough to drive the Hybrid woofers, or would I need more power for them? Unfortunately, most 5-channel amps are really thin on power on individual channels. Would it work better if I bridge the speaker channels to power the midbass and power the tweeters with the head unit amplifier (22watt RMS, likely overrated)?

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Without reading the whole thing, wouldn't you need to have a really good idea of the FR in car if you are going to try to use natural roll-off and match to a tweeter?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without reading the whole thing, wouldn't you need to have a really good idea of the FR in car if you are going to try to use natural roll-off and match to a tweeter?
You are probably right, and no I don't have a good idea of FR response in the car. I guess I will google for tutorials on how to set the tweeter gains by ear. For me, that's good enough. I am not looking for the best, most accurate SQ. I would like to go for natural, realistic sound that also very musical and does not get fatiguing after a long listening session at moderate to moderate-high volume.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS: the current plan is to run then the way intended (no bi-amping). However, if I find the tweeters harsh or too loud, only then I'll consider bi-amp route to make the sound more balanced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts