DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am still researching tweets for my front stage, I plan on using the 7" Seas G18 or the new W18 nextel coated paper woofer for the mid, and I've been going crazy looking at lot s of tweets. I've tried to read as much as possible on this site and others about compact soft domes aka: LPG, MaxFi, Scan-speak/Alpine clone, Alpine spx177R/Vifa XT19 clone, and Morel car tweets.

Has anyone had the opportunity to listen to most of these and compare them? I'd really appreciate any info as to their differences! Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am in the EXACT same boat as you. Decided on the G18 mid but still up in the air with tweeters (compact soft domes).

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, aside from the way it sounds, it has to be a small compact dome tweet, no larger than 1.5" diameter, and it has to matrch well with those midwoofers. Other than that, I listen to mostly rock and techno, so I'm not even absolutely sure about hard dome or soft dome, but I know I need a smooth, accurate, detailed tweet that doesn't fatique my ears, so most hard domes are out.......

I've never really heard any of these, but they all come recommended, so I don't think I'd be really dissapointed with any one of them, but if one or two really stand out from the rest, I'd love to know :>)

One important detail is that whatever tweet I use, it will be powered very well (possible 100watts a channel, mids are being powered 150 watts a channel into 8 ohms), and it will have to be able to be cranked on occasion, so it has to have good output at higher listening levels also...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I've heard the maxFi's are a little better as far as being dynamic and being able to play louder than the LPG's, I was leaning toward that one, but would also like to hear how it would stack up against the Scan Speak......

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
The Scan is a very nice tweeter, with low distortion and able to handle a pretty low crossover point. However, it's top end is much softer and less present than any of the other tweets you mentioned.

Max-Fi Imho sounds alot like Lpg, with great top end. However, being a 30mm dome it's much more dynamic and "effortless" sounding at high volume.

2 completely different tweeters. The Vifa and Morel tweets Imho are similar to the Lpg, but perhaps slightly better in that they don't sound so spitty at higher volume and the low end sounds more natural... of course the cost is much higher.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.