DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that trial and error is the best way to better sound. but as a starting point, if you have 2 way speakers that you can turn the tweeter direction, which way should they be pointing? I read that pointing both rear and front towards the middle of the car is best for sound stage

any opinions welcomed

cheers

randy

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I'd say onaxis or slightly offaxis, perhaps 15º max. Depends what driver you use too, some work better than others offaxis, some might sound better. I have best experience with onaxis mounting though.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It depends. Some tweeter may have a flat frequency response on axis and recessed highs off axis. Others may have peaky highs on axis, but more flat off-axis. Yet others may sound about the same on axis or off axis.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Your desk top speakers are "on axis" right now,both pointing inward towards you at the keyboard,in the middle. If you turned them to fire at each other,or the sides of the monitor,they are "off axis" to you. Same in the car,but harder to get "right" because you are sitting off to the side all the time. The tweet on her side is more "on axis" to your ear,but farther away and vice versa,so ideally the sound is moved more to the perceived center of the stage,like your desk speakers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your desk top speakers are "on axis" right now,both pointing inward towards you at the keyboard,in the middle. If you turned them to fire at each other,or the sides of the monitor,they are "off axis" to you. Same in the car,but harder to get "right" because you are sitting off to the side all the time. The tweet on her side is more "on axis" to your ear,but farther away and vice versa,so ideally the sound is moved more to the perceived center of the stage,like your desk speakers.
so you are saying that when all tweeters are pointing in your direction that is called on axis? If you pointed the all tweeters to the center of the car that could be called off axis?
pardon for the lack of knowledge as I have been out of the "loop" for a long time

thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is my basic understanding,a direct line from the full diameter of the speaker to your ears. Some of these installs have mids and tweets in pod on the dash or pillars,pointed right at your face. On axis. Mids in a door are off axis unless you angle them up and back,and even then they are usually just less off axis,not on axis.You are only hearing a bigger piece of the total speaker face. I'm just starting again too,but that's how I understand it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
In some cars, from the seat, you can move a mirror around the side window/top of the pillar and surrounding area until you see the opposite speaker location. Then aim the tweeter there. Repeat procedure for the opposite side. If you can't see the speaker location in the mirror, just get it close.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts