DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently pricing out tweeters for a active two channel tweeter/mid setup. I will be using a factory navi in a 2009 escape, I am installing a MS-8 processor, and a XD700/5 Jl amp to power the front speakers (I am debating on bumping up to a HD900/5 but have heard the HD amps have relability issues). For the Mids I will be installing the image dynamics CX62 6.5" speakers in the factory sets. I am planning on placing the tweeters somewhere on the apillar. I am shopping for a good set of tweeters for this system.

Below are my two main choices. but I also am looking at the cdt drt-26's and the focal tn(53)ks (the focals are the only non silks I have on the list so far.

Please weigh in and give any constructive advice.

Image Dynamics XS-28

vs

MD 100's

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also any suggestions on good premade pods or tweeter mounts for the escape apillar set up as well as good 5x7 to 6.5 speaker adapter suggestions. I found 5x7 - 6.5 Speaker Adapters but I do not know if pvc material is a good choice since I have never used an adapter in my previous installs.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I can't speak for the 28s but I use to have a set of the Dyns among they were the best tweeter I've ever heard. If I had three money I'd get another set. I ran mine actively as week off of a PG ZX450.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just got a reply back on a new set of the focal TN53K tweets with the pods I needed for 230. I didnt think I would get them at that price.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I just got a reply back on a new set of the focal tnk tweets with the pods I needed for 230. I didnt think I would get them at that price.
\

The Dyns are a very laid back tweeter and non fatiguing, very easy on the ears...Never met a Dynaudio speaker I didn't like

Imo the Focal and Dyns are on opposite ends of the spectrum, very contrasting type of sound between them

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can someone cover the expected differences between the MD100/130 and the Image Dynamics xs-28 based on their specs on paper, or even prior experience with both lines?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have heard the MD100 in a car and I have the home version of the MD130. It has been so long since I have heard the ID I don't want to comment on it.

The MD100 sounded good, better than 90% of the car tweeters I have heard. But I thought it lacked detail and seemed to roll off in the high freqs. It was in a 3-way setup so I can't comment on the low end extension. However it is a very forgiving tweeter, sounds good on all types of recordings even poor ones. Maybe that is due to the lack of detail. I only listened for about an hour but I did not have any fatigue.

The home version of the MD130, is the D260 (at least I believe it is basically the same). It has a very full sound, decent extension at least better than the MD100. More dynamic capability. Also lacks detail IMHO. No fatigue, forgiving of material. Will handle a low crossover point. Definately a step up from the MD100 but also larger.

I really second the suggestion of the Scan D3004. I just think it does everything better than the Dyns. Detailed without being fatiguing, reasonable high end extension, nice low end, full robust sound. I own some outstanding car tweeters and it holds it's own with them all, at a reasonable price point (reasonable in comparison to say the Rainbow Cal28 or HAT L1 Pro R2,or the Dyns for instance)

This is all just my opinion and you may not have the same tastes. And really any of the tweeters mentioned should be oustanding performers.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have the ID at present and have had the dynaudio previously. They are both excellent tweeters. IMHO the Dynaudio's are a step above the ID, especially in the area of imaging. However, the Dyn's are bigger in size, and in price. The MD130's take all that is good about the MD102 and takes it one step beyound. Both the ID's and the 1o2's can be crossed over at 2500 hz with a 2nd order highpass. The 130's can go down to 2000 hz with a 2nd order highpass. Hope this helps. JPS

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Install, Install, Install folks....IS the OP looking to install on or off axis?

The Scans (being ring radiator) will not perform as well off axis, the Dyns slightly better. Both of those choices you would want to put more on-axis in a car.

If you are completely off axis (tweeters firing across the dash at each other), neither would work very well and I would look for something much brighter.

I like the Dyn somewhat on-axis or in the dash firing at the windshield.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Sorry reading is a skill. I was referencing the Scan D3004/6020 not the RR version. I do have the Alpine RR version, and yes the RR does need to be on axis.

The Scan d3004/6020 is a conventional 1" dome and is better off axis than the RR version. I prefer the D3004 slightly off axis also. But I would agree if you want to install extreme off axis then you want a tweeter with a rising on axis response which should give a flatter off axis response.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Install, Install, Install folks....IS the OP looking to install on or off axis?

The Scans (being ring radiator) will not perform as well off axis, the Dyns slightly better. Both of those choices you would want to put more on-axis in a car.

If you are completely off axis (tweeters firing across the dash at each other), neither would work very well and I would look for something much brighter.

I like the Dyn somewhat on-axis or in the dash firing at the windshield.
What about the 28xs Image Dynamics for off axis?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
You can try it. I think there are much better options, including the MD102 more on-axis.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Could you elaborate? Are you not a fan of the 28xs, or just that placement?
Not really a fan of that tweeter. I believe the Dyn tweeter is MUCH MUCH better. It is very smooth and non-fatiguing. It would not be for you if you prefer very harsh, overly detailed high frequencies.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not really a fan of that tweeter. I believe the Dyn tweeter is MUCH MUCH better. It is very smooth and non-fatiguing. It would not be for you if you prefer very harsh, overly detailed high frequencies.
What about the CAL 26 Rainbows?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts