DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I became so inspired by this thread http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...justable-easily-replaceable-tweeter-pods.html That I just had to try it out. The only thing I did different was to mount it to the top of the dash instead of to the pillars. I figure this way I will have more flexibility in aiming my tweeter when I start to tune my car.

I have to say, this setup makes a huge difference in the way my car sounds.

All from Home Depot, 1.5" PVC pipe caps, and steel nipples with nuts, they are in the lamp section of the store.

Next, I determined the angle I wanted and drilled a hole into the cup just large enough for the nipple to slide thru.

Heres what it looks like with the nipple installed and the wire ran thru it.

Next I used some gasket material to wrap the tweeter and provide a really tight pressure fit.

This is the tweeter pressure fit in the cup.

Ran the wires thru and mounted it to the trim piece.

Test fit in the car.

Giving them a Plasti Dip paint job.

When the paint dried I mounted everything up and soldered and heat shrunk the speaker wires to the tweeters.

Mounted to the trim panel.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another.

Drivers side mounted.

Another drivers side.

Passenger side.

Another passenger side showing the up and down movement, I can even swing it around and point it at the windshield if I want.

Up close of the tweeter.

And the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Normally i'd ask if you were going to fiberglass the entire piece into the A pillar, but it looks really smooth without the mess of a molded fiberglass trim.

well done.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Looks great. You know, you have now inspired me to use the 1.5" pvc to install my Seas neos instead of just a wood ring like I originally planned. I like how you used what looks like weather-stripping for the pressure fit. I might copy that idea as well :p.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I've got some 3.5" PVC caps in the garage, now you've got me thinking of staggering a 3.5" and 1.5" cap on each pillar for a 3" and tweeter, and molding them in. Shame on you! :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Genius.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Now that I've listened to the Seas for a few days I'm not to happy with them. So now I'm looking for new tweeters. Any suggestions from personal experience?

List to look at:
1. Morel MDT12- problem is its square framed
2. Seas Prestige aluminum
3. ???
4. ???

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Now that I've listened to the Seas for a few days I'm not to happy with them. So now I'm looking for new tweeters. Any suggestions from personal experience?

List to look at:
You can make that square frame round rather easily.

What don't you like about the seas?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I'm curious also, about what your dislike for the SEAS tweeter is. I was thinking about getting a pair for my wife's car but I haven't heard them myself.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
They don't have to stay square frame ya know :D ... Nothing a belt sander couldn't fix... You need to be sober though (I eyeballed my sanding job and you could tell) :)

I switched from those Seas 27whatever fabric: difference was day and night! It felt like I got to know whole much more about how 1" tweeter can sound. Much more "open", smooth throughout the volume knob and doesn't get spitty, just airy and detailed without getting harsh. I do however want to mention that there is something finicky towards the very upper end that little eq can easily fix. I would consider it a huge step up even though the price was the same (the best part about them). I do like smooth detailed sound without harshness, sort of laid back if you will. These work just right for me, I will be keeping them for a while.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts