DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know the terminology to explain what I am looking for/needing, so I am just going to describe my system and what I am trying to accomplish.

I am using the ID x69 comp set , stock location, with the tweeter located high in the door. I am running the set using the included passive crossovers, getting good quality power with the front channels off a five channel HD900.

My question is what is a great 200 dollar or below tweeter replacement? I am looking for something less harsh, that will sound better in my less than ideal stock location. I need to keep things simple, looking for something "plu-n-play". I do not want to go active, alter the location with a custom install, etc. I was looking at some of the Focal inverted sets, as they are described as good off axis, but I wanted to ask before I purchase. Oh, and I do tend to blindly purchase as I just don't have the time or availability locally to go and listen to different sets.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I am surprised you find the xs28 harsh. have you tried changing the crossover freq or the level? you have about 4 freqs and 3 level controls.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am surprised you find the xs28 harsh. have you tried changing the crossover freq or the level? you have about 4 freqs and 3 level controls.
Again, my terminilogy may not be the best. I am looking for a mellower type of sound, harsh may not be the best description.

I am not messing around with the x-over freq as I don't know what I am doing and need simplicity. The stock passives have not been opened up, so they are installed at the default setting, they are not clear, so I just do not know.

What would be a good/great set for this location, something known for being smooth?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Again, my terminilogy may not be the best. I am looking for a mellower type of sound, harsh may not be the best description.

I am not messing around with the x-over freq as I don't know what I am doing and need simplicity. The stock passives have not been opened up, so they are installed at the default setting, they are not clear, so I just do not know.

What would be a good/great set for this location, something known for being smooth?
ok, I mean its your money. but if you knocked down thier output by 2dB you may find you like them alot more. before spending $100+ on a new set + installation, might be worth the 5 minutes to play with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, I mean its your money. but if you knocked down thier output by 2dB you may find you like them alot more. before spending $100+ on a new set + installation, might be worth the 5 minutes to play with it.
I will try it, but I also want to replace them. I guess I am looking for validation the inverted domes are better before I purchase. I know it may be just marketing, but are these "softer" and better off axis?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
from everything I have heard focal tweeters are a bit on the bright side. so if you are looking for something more laid back and softer, you may not like them.

Morel and dynaudio have very soft sounding tweeters. look into those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts