DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a set of HSK-165 speakers and immediately noticed the tweeter is a lot louder on one side than the other. Nothing else was changed except for the speakers, and it sounded fine before.

I'm going to swap the tweeters and see if it's a bad tweeter. But I'm wondering if I could replace the tweeters with something else while keeping the same crossovers and woofers. I know the tweeters are crossed over at 3200Hz. Is there anything else to it?

Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do and they should be at 0dB on both sides.

I swapped the phase on the problem tweeter and got the same thing.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Would it be a bad idea to mix and match tweeters with passive crossovers?
Yes, generally speaking the passive crossover is designed with the tweeter characteristics in mind, IE: frequency response, impedance rise, off/on axis response.

What tweeter is the problem, driver or passenger?

There's a good chance it isn't the tweeter, just where/how it's installed.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Yes, generally speaking the passive crossover is designed with the tweeter characteristics in mind, IE: frequency response, impedance rise, off/on axis response.

What tweeter is the problem, driver or passenger?

There's a good chance it isn't the tweeter, just where/how it's installed.
Yes it's a bad idea. There was a thread a few day's ago that showed graphs of what happens when you pair drivers with crossovers that weren't designed together. I'll try to find it, but it's really bad.

However, since you only have the problem on one side I would imagine that the problem is somewhere else. Check your speaker wires to see if any terminals are touching metal, check for pinches in the wires, make sure the rca's are all plugged in snug and that the shields are touching metal, physically disconnect the tweeters and switch sides. This will all tell you whether or not the tweeter is at fault or if the problem lies somewhere sooner in the chain.

·
Registered
52 Posts
that's odd, usually that is a phase issue.. Have you swapped the tweeter from one side of the car to the other to see if it follows the tweeter? This would help you to eliminate the tweet and isolate to crossover / amp etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tweeters are mounted on the sail panels. I tried press my ears against them, standing outside, etc and listened, it was pretty obvious that one side is louder.

It's the passenger side that's louder btw. I sat in the passenger's seat in a 4 hour trip this weekend, and I could not hear anything from the driver's side.

I'm going to try swapping the tweeters tomorrow and report back.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are you checked the speaker wire to x-over to tweeter? terminals in tweeter? terminals in x-over?
maybe have a shortcircuit in there... i think...if not...it is very probable you have a damaged tweeter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyway to check if there's a short circuit? I have a DMM but I tried to use it the other day and couldn't get any Ohm or Voltage readings, I think I just don't know how to use it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
do the swap to rule out the tweeter and then start checking/swapping everything... I had the exact same issue (luckily im active so alot less to be at fault) but my drivers side tweeter had to be -12db to match the pass side and every once in a while the pass side would jump back up all crazy loud. For me it was one rca and the amp (it was hard to tell because they were both sorta half broken so i didnt easily rule them out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I looked at it today, I took the tweeter on the driver's side off, hooked it up to the right side, and both tweeters sounded just as loud. I then proceeded to put the tweeter back on to the driver's side, and discovered that the xover is set to -2dB (it was at 0dB I swear). So I set both sides at 0dB now and listened a bit, the balance is a lot better, but still a little more biased towards the passenger side.

I also played with the xover settings a bit, the only time I could tell a real difference is when I have +2 on left and -2 on right, compared to -2 on left and +2 on right. So a 2db difference wasn't that much too me.

I'm going to swap the tweeters anyway and put everything back together and see how that sounds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Swapped the tweeters, the right side is still more dominant, but not as much. Setting it at about -2 seems to center the vocals.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Go active ;)

Get as much control over the signal as you can [ seperate gains or seperate amps for each side , possibly bi-amping ]:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did some reading based on your suggestion.

Right now I've got:

Alpine CDA-9886
Eclipse XA4000
One pair of speakers
One sub

Neither has active crossover abilities. So I'm wondering, what would be the easiest way for me to go active?

What is the better way to cross over? At HU, amp? Or should I get a processor?

Can I get a HU with 3-way crossover ability, run the front pre-out for woofers, and rear pre-out for tweeters? Then each channel into the amp to power the 4 speakers?

I'd be left without a sub channel and would have to get a sub amp, then probably a distro block... And I'd lose my USB as well...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts