DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a phoenix gold zx450 and i want to add lpg tweeters / ca18rnx midbass / peerless xls/xxls subwoofer ..

to do this can i construct a passive crossover so i can run the lpg tweeters off the head unit, the ca18s off channels 1+2 and the xxls off 3+4.

i know the amp can run HP filter to 6k on 1+2, bandpass for 3+4, but im not sure if it can low pass on 1+2 at 2k-6k, i have the manual but i still cant figure it out. assuming this works, will the head unit (clarion db356) have enough power for the lpg tweeters ? i heard a few of you are running ribbons off the head unit, can this be done with dome tweeters too ?

alternatively, can i run the tweets off channels 1+2 and run xxls sub (4 ohm) AND 8 ohm ca18rnxs off channels 3+4 ?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks npdang. ill get those tweets off ya soon promise !

the crossover slope on the amp is 24db/octabe !! is that too high ? will i need to construct a 24db highpass crossover for the lpg ?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got this from posting on another forum .. (phoenix gold)

Code:
I personally suggest you don’t run your tweeters like you plan. Deck power is nearly useless in a quality stereo setup. Decks don’t have amps with discrete parts, they use what is often referred to as a “chip amp”, which is an integrated circuit which develops minimal power, with high distortion. Also, decks don’t handle passive crossover components well either. I am confident you will end up blowing tweeters regularly with this setup.
what are your thoughts ?

·
Registered
574 Posts
i agree with both posts ,it really depends on what you expect from the system, drivers eff. mounting locations general listening habits -typically new decks can provide 12-18 watts under 1-2 percent thd. no matter if the deck says 44 watts per channel,is 12-18 watts enough to drive typ. tweeters to moderate levels of coarse ,cont power drawn by the tweeter might be only 5-7 watts ,but if you expect to drive your speakers into highr spl levels every day it might be wise to use an ext. amp so the possibility of clipping your headunit amp is not a concern , but the head unit amp will not magically fry your tweeters under normal use , its the user driving the amp into clipping for long periods , hope it helps

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
doesn't sound like the headunit will be a problem then. it's a clarion head unit, i think it does a little over 20wrms. can someone help me with the crossover ? i've found a few calculators on the net .. got a few questions ..

1. i guess ill tune/tweak the tweeters to the woofers active, but i've never done this before, is there a guide ?

2. looks like i need 4 parts for a 24db/oct crossover, will a 4th order crossover be necessary as the amp crosses at 24db/oct ?

3. does the parts quality matter ? what are some good brands

somethin to look at:
http://ccs.exl.info/calc_cr.html#fourth

·
Registered
149 Posts
Head unit internal amps are definitely not the best but I've heard plenty of systems running off of HU power that were completely listenable, and some that were even a little enjoyable... I would just give it a shot, worst case scenario you find a cheapie 25x2 on ebay for $50 and you're good to go. If it does work, you save $50.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.