DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am completely abandoning my idea to glass my tweeters into the a-pillars.

My new idea is to cut a hole in the stock grill for the mid in the door and mount th tweeter in there. Have a 4" Resolution mid in the stock location. Tweeter is the Nd25a.

If anyone has seen the door of a late 90's/early 2000's Pontiac you know they angle the front speakers to the passengers a little. It would fire almost directly at the opposite passengers ear.

Will mounting them this way significantly block or alter the output from the mid? Dont want to "experiment" and try it without getting some opinions. Kinda hard to fix a hole in the grill of all places.

·
Registered
48 Posts
the closer the speakers are to each other the better the imaging will be...good soundstage is elusive in a car anyway, so I'll take all the imaging I can get :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. What about doing a similar install in a truck, where you are farther away from both the mid and tweet?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still need to know if this is a good idea or not. I guess I will just try it....if it doesnt work i can recover the grill?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I did tweeters in the doors, next to the stock mids in my last car. I guess it imaged well, but the stage was low. I decided to move them to a-pillars instead. It greatly improved the staging, and with time alignment, the imaging was good to. My personal opinion is if you have time alignment and don't mind if your passenger gets less than awsome sq, a-pillars tweeters > door tweeters. And having a hole in your door panel sucks. I cant speak about tweeters in kicks because I've never tried them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must not have been clear in my first post. I am asking if i should cut the stock speaker grill and mount the tweeter there....directly in front of the mid....basically like a coax. But the mid is a 4" so I didnt know if that would casue some blockage or SQ issue vs mounting elsewhere.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I must not have been clear in my first post. I am asking if i should cut the stock speaker grill and mount the tweeter there....directly in front of the mid....basically like a coax. But the mid is a 4" so I didnt know if that would casue some blockage or SQ issue vs mounting elsewhere.
Sorry I can't comment on the blockage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts