DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
ROCKY TOP
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have buzzing coming from my front left tweeter and a very faint alternator whine. I have narrowed it down to the rca’s coming from the my gs9. I have tried to run an extra set of rcas over my seats trying to see if that would get rid of the buzz by keeping it off the vehicles floor, unfortunately it gets worse. Any ideas of what to do here? Driving me crazy!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have buzzing coming from my front left tweeter and a very faint alternator whine. I have narrowed it down to the rca’s coming from the my gs9. I have tried to run an extra set of rcas over my seats trying to see if that would get rid of the buzz by keeping it off the vehicles floor, unfortunately it gets worse. Any ideas of what to do here? Driving me crazy!!

Did it just happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ROCKY TOP
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did it just happened?

Its been going on, but it seems to be getting worse. I dont understand why when i run the rcas over the seats the buzzing gets worse, this is the first time i have ever had noise issues but this is the first system i have had in my tacoma as well.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts

The hum could be through the RCAs or through the ground wire, or through the power wire.

How do you know it is coming in via the RCAs?

·
ROCKY TOP
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hum could be through the RCAs or through the ground wire, or through the power wire.

How do you know it is coming in via the RCAs?
I just thought thats what it was because I unplugged the rcas from the amp and the hum was gone, so that eliminated the amp and everythibg in front of the amp going to the speakers. Then I plugged the rcas back into the amp and unplugged the rcas from my sony gs9, the hum was gone so that rliminated the deck, which left the rcas from the deck going into the amp as picking up the noise, its driving me crazy. When I add put my jl vxi amp i am going to hook it up optical and rca. I want to get rid of this damn hum!!!

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Finding the causal mechanism is usually not very easy...

A ground loop usually has the appearance of a loop somewhere.
And that loop gets broken when the RCAs are unplugged.
(If you had removed the + and - and sat a spare car battery in there to power the amp, that would also break the loop.)

The RCA to 1/8" and 1/8" to RCA can be handy.
The first (female version) can allow for headphones to listen to what the RCAs are presenting.
The second (male version) allows an iPhone to play music into the amp.

Ground loops are hair pullers for a lot of people.

I'd be tempted to also use a 1/2 set of jumper cables and try seeing what attaching the ground does?

But you are on the right track with the secon set of RCAs. Try moving them closer to the power wire and see if that changes things. It doesn't matter if it is better or worse, one just starts "devining" where to go.

·
ROCKY TOP
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finding the causal mechanism is usually not very easy...

A ground loop usually has the appearance of a loop somewhere.
And that loop gets broken when the RCAs are unplugged.
(If you had removed the + and - and sat a spare car battery in there to power the amp, that would also break the loop.)

The RCA to 1/8" and 1/8" to RCA can be handy.
The first (female version) can allow for headphones to listen to what the RCAs are presenting.
The second (male version) allows an iPhone to play music into the amp.

Ground loops are hair pullers for a lot of people.

I'd be tempted to also use a 1/2 set of jumper cables and try seeing what attaching the ground does?

But you are on the right track with the secon set of RCAs. Try moving them closer to the power wire and see if that changes things. It doesn't matter if it is better or worse, one just starts "devining" where to go.
Yeah i am gonna work on it this weekend. Do u have other suggestions to try? Also what do u mean by a ground loop having the appearance of a loop. I dont want to have to use optical all the time because I like using my volume controls on my steering wheel. I dont know how i could have a ground loop either, i use one main ground and the rest of my grounds go to my audison power/ground distro box. I actually put an extra chassis ground on my deck as well. I just got to get rid of this buzzing/ground loop some way.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah i am gonna work on it this weekend. Do u have other suggestions to try? Also what do u mean by a ground loop having the appearance of a loop. I dont want to have to use optical all the time because I like using my volume controls on my steering wheel. I dont know how i could have a ground loop either, i use one main ground and the rest of my grounds go to my audison power/ground distro box. I actually put an extra chassis ground on my deck as well. I just got to get rid of this buzzing/ground loop some way.

Where is ground going from the distro box block?

·
ROCKY TOP
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is ground going from the distro box block?

It was put in by my installer he said he went to chassis grounding point...i cant see it becuase its behind my amp rack..i would imagine he made a good ground but u never know

·
Registered
196 Posts
It was put in by my installer he said he went to chassis grounding point...i cant see it becuase its behind my amp rack..i would imagine he made a good ground but u never know

Yeah I would check that out...

·
Registered
126 Posts
If the installer did the install and it just happened? Take it back to the installer and have him fix it. Just my 2 cents. :)

Also, some of these amps don't filter the power so it can bring back in noise in the audio chain. There is a reason why I like some of the amps. Even the Stupid BOSS armor series. At least they sound good. Even if the installer sucks MASSIVE HORSE .........Yea. :)

Another thing to check out? Have you changed spark plugs or wires? Is your Alternator still in good condition? If one o the diodes start leaking, it can do the same thing. I just wanted to throw that out there. You would not think spark plug choice would make any difference,.... But boy... That was a FREAK thing that I experienced when testing out spark plugs.

So please check the grounds in the engine bay frist, plug wires, spark plugs if you can't find the issue at the amp install.

·
ROCKY TOP
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the installer did the install and it just happened? Take it back to the installer and have him fix it. Just my 2 cents. :)

Also, some of these amps don't filter the power so it can bring back in noise in the audio chain. There is a reason why I like some of the amps. Even the Stupid BOSS armor series. At least they sound good. Even if the installer sucks MASSIVE HORSE .........Yea. :)

Another thing to check out? Have you changed spark plugs or wires? Is your Alternator still in good condition? If one o the diodes start leaking, it can do the same thing. I just wanted to throw that out there. You would not think spark plug choice would make any difference,.... But boy... That was a FREAK thing that I experienced when testing out spark plugs.

So please check the grounds in the engine bay frist, plug wires, spark plugs if you can't find the issue at the amp install.

The truck is brand new pretty much, the amp is s mmats hifi 6150d and just got returned from mmats with some upgrades done and a clean bill of health.
My installer has always done a great job, but i believe I might let him take a look at it again

·
ROCKY TOP
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am also getting feedback when I step on my brake as well, I am getting so aggervated with this whole situation

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am also getting feedback when I step on my brake as well, I am getting so aggervated with this whole situation

I wonder the stereo wire harness is not hook up correctly...

·
ROCKY TOP
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I wonder the stereo wire harness is not hook up correctly...

What do u mean? Kinda impossible to screw up a gs9 harness power ground accessory and remote is all i am using, and an idatalink maestro

·
ROCKY TOP
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He didnt put ferrules on my amp like i ask so who knows it might be a bad ground but im honestly thinking the ground will probably be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts