DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, any advice on tweeter placement would be greatly appreciated.

I have an Audi A7 with the bose system in it (well used to have the bose system). The factory system has a 3-way front configuration, with midbass at the bottom of the door, midrange in the middle of the door, and tweeter on the dash at the corners of the windshield, aimed at the windshield.

Now I have the factory head unit connected to a Mobridge DA3 (MOST converter/DSP) going to a Arc 1200.6. I am planning on running a 2-way front stage using the Hertz MLK 1650.3 components.

My question is, should I put the tweeters in the factory location aimed at the windshield? I'm worried about the reflection of the windshield. Or in the factory midrange location in the middle of the door? In the door I could aim the tweeters up, but they will still be located pretty far down in the door.

Thanks again for reading this!

Greg

· Registered
3,938 Posts
Higher up and further form you ears tends to be better for tweets. Firing into the windshield CAN work well in some vehicles, but if you could mount them in the dash corner firing out an up towards the dome light, it might might well sound better, but then you would lose the stealth install it seems like you are after. Like the last poster said, experiment with several locations and sticky tape, listening to different music that you like and then make a decision. If you stick with stock locations, I'll bet you end firing towards the windshield and taming them with eq.

· Registered
150 Posts

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I think i can make some plastic mounts and angle the tweeters in the factory location so they aren't pointing directly into the windshield.

· Registered
3,938 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I think i can make some plastic mounts and angle the tweeters in the factory location so they aren't pointing directly into the windshield.
That might well be ideal, but before you do, simply try the tweeters first in the factory location for a few days and then put a washcloth or something under them to tilt them the way you might want to make the pods and try that for a few days…. decide which you like better and tun go for it…might save yourself the trouble of fabricating anything.

· Registered
3,144 Posts
Agreed on taping them to different locations and listening, take your time.

I had my tweeters installed in the stock location in my subaru impreza with them reflecting off the windshield. Was a tuning nightmare, never imagined something could sound so flat, yet so peaky. Brought them out to the pillars pointing criss-crossing at driver-passenger (passenger side at driver and vice versa).

Night and day difference. Much better.... My previous 3 installs were in similar locations, this was the first time i tried reflecting off the windshield. Bleh.

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it bad to have the tweeters too low? like in the middle of the doors? I have seen several installs with them in the kick panels.

· Registered
3,938 Posts
Is it bad to have the tweeters too low? like in the middle of the doors? I have seen several installs with them in the kick panels.
Not necessarily bad, but it is EASIER to obtain a higher stage by mounting the tweets closer to ear level. Somepeople who ran tweets in kick panels also added a second tweet running the same crossover higher up as well.

· Registered
6,007 Posts
Agreed on taping them to different locations and listening, take your time.

I had my tweeters installed in the stock location in my subaru impreza with them reflecting off the windshield. Was a tuning nightmare, never imagined something could sound so flat, yet so peaky. Brought them out to the pillars pointing criss-crossing at driver-passenger (passenger side at driver and vice versa).

Night and day difference. Much better.... My previous 3 installs were in similar locations, this was the first time i tried reflecting off the windshield. Bleh.
If I have dsp, I will always mount tweets at the corners of dash firing into the windshield.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.