DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a pair of ScanSpeak Illuminator D2004/6020-00 Tweeters and was planning on putting at the ends of the dashboard.

Question really is, is there a need to put them in tweeter pods? Does it make a big difference in terms of SQ or could I get away with not putting them in?

Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't purchased or made any pods at the moment. Just wanted to check with you guys if I even need one, considering I don't plan on sticking them into my a-pillar.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I know this isn't the answer you're hoping for...but pods may or may not be needed in ANY given install. Install location and distance to reflective boundaries will play a large role. Crossover point will as well. Essentially the purpose of a pod is to smooth and reduce diffraction. If you have tweeters molded smoothly into the pillars, you will probably not see the same "gains" from a pod as somebody who just used a provided angle-mount cup. If you cross at 8khz instead of 2.5khz, you're tweeter will be, by percentage, playing more information in it's beaming range and therefore there will be less dispersion and therefore less diffraction. It isn't a universal need, but one that should be evaluated based on your install.

I would further like to point out that people may not initially like what pods (or reduced diffraction in general) sounds like. It SHOULD sound very precise and SHOULD help with width, BUT it also will probably reduce output (increased amplitude from reflections) and some of the "livelyness" of the tweeters. I didn't initially like what having a dashmat did to the sound of my tweeters, but I promise that if you listen long enough with those reflections you will realize: it is nearly impossible to get an extremely focused image AND it becomes very fatiguing to listen to at high levels for any extended period of time.

I hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts