DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

i have my 3 inch midrange speaker installed off axis on a pillars. Can i install my tweeters on axis on the dashboard? Or is there a set rule that if midrange is off axis tweeters should also be off axis?

please explain!

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 NVXvad2 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 RS180-4 Um12
1,112 Posts
Following, I’ve been taught that finding a driver location with favorable phase and response is the major thing to attend to. This way the transitions at crossover points are coherent.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You listen with your ears not your eyes. There might be some general observations to be considered:
  • keeping the tweeter close to the mid can improve integration at the crossover point.
  • avoiding highly reflective surfaces generally helps response
Something I really liked to use before I learned any fiberglass fabrication skills was using PVC end caps to make little pods for the A pillars.

I used the PVC end caps with swivel mounts to play with aiming. Downside is that the end cap might be a little small for the mids but that depends on xover points and the driver parameters.

To measure frequency response you need a windows laptop/pc with a measurement microphone. The program you would use is Room EQ Wizard. If you do not have access to a PC/Laptop than next best option would be a something like this dayton microphone an a Phone app. Some apps come with microphone calibrations for specific phones, not ideal but maybe better than nothing.

This would be a good USB microphone. Not sure what you have access to in Spain.

·
Premium Member
6,982 Posts
I want to mount my tweeter here in the red circle. Would it be okay? I dont have a laser , so any other tool which can confirm where the tweeters are pointing?
@lithium how do i measure the response?
A flashhlight, it just isn’t coherent ;)
The beam of a speaker is wide so close enough is good enough.

Reactions: hassan54000

·
Premium Member
6,982 Posts
The passenger side tweeter should be facing the driver’s headrest?
I like opposing headrests as the near side gets a bit attenuated being off axis.

A lot like of people like to point them between the seats… which is also easy to defend.

·
Premium Member
6,982 Posts
I just read something that suggested it could take thousands of hours of listening to get this just right.
Sounds like a perfect project for an extended Covid lockdown?

Reactions: LBaudio

·
Registered
461 Posts
It should take a few hours to aim them the way you need. Once they're perfect, it should take about 30 seconds to realize, "This is perfect."

Thousands of hours? I'd like to meet that installer. He may need his ears cleaned.

Oh, speaking of which, I suggest cleaning your ears a bit (CAREFULLY) before serious tuning. You'd be amazed what a clump of ear wax can do to your perception.

·
Premium Member
6,982 Posts
Miyagi method

Reactions: Old'sCool
1 - 20 of 23 Posts