DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Quick question ... I have read the advice here to add a protection cap to my tweeter when using active Xovers AND amps after ...

Does this still apply if I have the MS-8 powering the tweeters from its internal amps??

I am ready to fire the processor up today and don't want to fry anything :eek:

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Some will say yes, others will say no.

From experience tweeters will survive playing the wrong freq, trun on pops and more IF the volume is kept low-so you can get away without the protection cap IF you are careful. (I accidentally hooked my MD102s to my midwoofer amp, which then turned out to have a turn on pop to boot, survied and still sound sweet, so double and triple check before going live!)

However it makes sense to put one in anyway, 50V non-polarised cap for 6dB filter on the power you have-higher voltage if you're palnning on putting a much bigger amp on at a later date, select a freq well below your crossover point-but above the Fs of the driver, typical recommendation is double Fs.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if you are worried about it, do it. it is $15 to protect your $100 tweeters and you wont hear what it is doing. just pick a non-polarized cap that is at least 1 octave below the x-over point.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I've been running it without caps but I know it's a matter of time until I screw up the setup or the MS8 freaks out. I keep putting it off but I plan on installing a cap on the tweeters. I was wondering if people install caps on the midranges as well?? I would burn the MS8 if it ever damaged my Dyns. All of my stuff is going through external amps though. Not sure if a 22w full range signal would damage a tweeter. It seems like it would, even one rated at 100w but who knows.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all,

I still have the factory speakers in place but didn't want to damage them with the initial start up ... I just made sure to keep volume low/off as I brought the processor online today (this is all new to me, I'm a bookkeeper LOL)

I am having some problems with my setup, and at one point thought I blew out the whole front right side of the processor/amp as that ONE door would not play ... but these are different issues and I don't want to sidetrack this thread ;)

Thanks again for the suggestions and I will be sure to add caps inline once I get the MS8 worked out

Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts