DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading the crappy sound system in a corvette and need advice on which tweeters would pair up well with a set 8" Morel Mw265 4ohm mids. I already have the MW265's and don't want to buy another set of 8's.

The speakers will be run active and my price range goes up to $300 for a pair.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Do you like a bright sounding tweeter or something laid back? Haven't heard the Morels, what kind of a sound do they provide and what is their usable extension? Where does the response curve really start to fall off? If the Morels are warm and you like that characteristic, try using a tweeter that is warm. You will want something that plays low I would imagine. Hell, if you have the room, try a full range driver.. That would help that transition from 8" to tweeter with a better balanced blend..

Is size an issue? Will you be able to use a large tweeter? Where are you looking to mount the tweets, do you have processing? Just give a rundown of your gear and your preferences with regard to music, your budget, how far your willing to go.. There are so many variables, just recommending tweeters can yield such diverse results..

BTW I am relatively Noobismic. There are others in here much better equipped with knowledge and experience to better assist you. I didn't see any responses so I figured I'd get the ball rolling for you with my Noobery.. They are relevant questions however, now you will see folks eager to quip about my response with corrections of their own :)

BTW, I spent a half hour of typing with an update and edit to this thread with some info based on research of the Morels (after I first entered this thread) I lost a half hours work and now I am pissed!!!!!!!! When I simmer down some and find some new patience, I will post what I found.. BTW, look around, there are many threads regarding successful 8" 2 way front stage installs, I read about one in a Vette forum. If memory serves me correct, there was a Morel 8" (can't recall which one) and he paired it with horns.

Supposedly worked out amazingly well. BTW, full range driver or even a serious mid like the HAT L4? Most of us don't hear past 15 to 17K anyway..

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
You can typically crossover at twice the Fs any tweeter with an Fs of 750Hz or lower can be crossed at 1500hz. Many Morel tweeters meet this threshold. Also check out the Vifa XT25. James (SublimeZ on the forum) has the Vifa XT25s in his 'vette.

·
Registered
954 Posts
You can typically crossover at twice the Fs any tweeter with an Fs of 750Hz or lower can be crossed at 1500hz. Many Morel tweeters meet this threshold. Also check out the Vifa XT25. James (SublimeZ on the forum) has the Vifa XT25s in his 'vette.
There you go.. One of the reasons I asked if you needed a small tweeter (did I ask that question?) is because there are Polk tweeters from their Eosone division that play quite comfortably down in that region, they can be had on Ebay for about $40 per pair.. They sound incredible, they are the ring ribbon design.

2 drawbacks. 8 ohm tweeters (which really is not a big deal since you are going active, if you have the power it is actually a plus.

The major drawback is the 3.5" diameter of the housing. A ***** to mount but worth the effort considering the fact that they truly play down that low and they do it with clarity and remarkable detail. For $40 you would be hard pressed to find something this good (if you can find a spot to mount them)

BTW, I was high off my ass when I posted that response. Truth is, I know nothing and should have kept out of it :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for yoru responses gents. Any help is appreciated.

The tweeter doesn't have to be small. It's going to be mounted in the OEM midrange location in the upper part of the door panel. I'm trying to find a picture of the OEM midrange speaker just so you guys can get an idea of how much room I have to play with.

If I can get away with a HAT L4 that would be awesome. I'll also check out the VIFA tweeter.

Here are a few pictures of the C6 speaker baffles that are available. There is plenty of room for a mid in the OEM location.

C6 Speaker Mounts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you for yoru responses gents. Any help is appreciated.

The tweeter doesn't have to be small. It's going to be mounted in the OEM midrange location in the upper part of the door panel. I'm trying to find a picture of the OEM midrange speaker just so you guys can get an idea of how much room I have to play with.

If I can get away with a HAT L4 that would be awesome. I'll also check out the VIFA tweeter.

Here are a few pictures of the C6 speaker baffles that are available. There is plenty of room for a mid in the OEM location.

C6 Speaker Mounts
If you can't get away with the L4, I've heard L3s play all the way up to tweeter ranges and it manages very well. In the right location unless you are very young or have exceptional hearing you could get away with just the L3s.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How well does the L3 sound off axis, like in the door?
Mine's pointing directly up, at and reflecting off the windscreen, as sounds good. Add in the tweeter to build a good wide and accurate stage.

Most installs I've seen over here with L3s or L4s have them nearer on axis and they sound great. All the differences I've heard between off and on axis have been pretty minor and could be resolved by angling the L3s in the door to put them more on axis.

Personally I would expect a very high quality clear sound with good to exceptional tonality and some warmth with the L3s. It all depends on everything else of course. Be careful with the L3 and L4 that there's enouth space for the back waves to not come back into the cone, it can cause a 'muddy' sound as if playing through a cloth, if you get what I mean.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If you can't get away with the L4, I've heard L3s play all the way up to tweeter ranges and it manages very well. In the right location unless you are very young or have exceptional hearing you could get away with just the L3s.
LOL!! You an old fart with tinnitus like me? I tested my own hearing with winisd and a tone sweep, above 16K I heard nothing. Is it a safe assumption that I am deaf to that upper bandwidth?

Truth is, I find many tweeters to be harsh and I usually end up with a hurtful ringing in my ears after about 20 minutes of blasting my classic Metal.

This is from systems that sound hot or bright when you first start listening. I have a thing for a detailed sound with low end thump, snappy snare and crisp vocals, laid back tweets.. Crisp vocals usually equates to harsh guitars so I have a few different settings for different styles of music. Heavy guitars and excessive crash cymbals usually do me in after just 5 minutes if not tamed with an EQ.. Am I alone?

To the OP.. The list is endless, wish we could tell you to run out and by tweeter x by brand z, just not how it works. Try listening to a few cars out there and inquire about their gear. Or just do like I did, look for closeout deals and just buy tons of **** on the cheap, listen to them all and figure out what works best for you that way..

Those Polk tweets I mentioned may work nice with an 8" Morel, they have a bright detailed sound, play way low with no problem, a nice EQ would help with any blending issues. The problem most have with them is you will not find TS parameters for them (Polk is dick about revealing that proprietary info) that and they are huge. At $40.00 a pair, if you have the room, I say try them. They work well on and off axis..

·
Registered
861 Posts
The stock mounting location for the tws are far from ideal...
If you want to use them afterall, look after a nice large format textile tw from Seas, Scan, DaytonRS28...

A midrange dome (rs52s) at the sock location and a small neo tw (HAT L1v2) at the sail panels looks as a a very good compromise if you have enought proccesing and amp channels.

A full range driver at that location is a no no.

·
Registered
954 Posts
LOL!! You an old fart with tinnitus like me? I tested my own hearing with winisd and a tone sweep, above 16K I heard nothing. Is it a safe assumption that I am deaf to that upper bandwidth?

Truth is, I find many tweeters to be harsh and I usually end up with a hurtful ringing in my ears after about 20 minutes of blasting my classic Metal.

This is from systems that sound hot or bright when you first start listening. I have a thing for a detailed sound with low end thump, snappy snare and crisp vocals, laid back tweets.. Crisp vocals usually equates to harsh guitars so I have a few different settings for different styles of music. Heavy guitars and excessive crash cymbals usually do me in after just 5 minutes if not tamed with an EQ.. Am I alone?

To the OP.. The list is endless, wish we could tell you to run out and by tweeter x by brand z, just not how it works. Try listening to a few cars out there and inquire about their gear. Or just do like I did, look for closeout deals and just buy tons of **** on the cheap, listen to them all and figure out what works best for you that way..

Those Polk tweets I mentioned may work nice with an 8" Morel, they have a bright detailed sound, play way low with no problem, a nice EQ would help with any blending issues. The problem most have with them is you will not find TS parameters for them (Polk is dick about revealing that proprietary info) that and they are huge. At $40.00 a pair, if you have the room, I say try them. They work well on and off axis..
List your setup, location, what your looking for in terms of sound and how deep your pockets are, how far you're willing to go, that should help matters..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts