DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Brio E CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys!

About a week ago i upgraded my car stock speakers to Helix F62C split 2 way components for the front and Helix F6X 2 way coax for the rear (shop installed), powered directly from my Pioneer AVH-G115DVD Head Unit. Yes, i understand that direct power from head unit internal amp is not the proper way and im planning to get an power amp as soon as i have the money.

The problem that i have is, recently, i noticed a static hissing noise from my tweeter that is mounted on the door, i honestly cant remember was it already hissing since after the installation or not (but im pretty sure it wasnt). I just noticed it like 3 days ago, it is quite noticeable from my normal driving position, the noise is there when the head unit is on and is only gone when im powering off or mute my head unit, the hiss also there even if i set my volume to zero and it gets louder if i set my volume up to a certain point. I dont think its Source related since the noise is always there whether im in usb/aux mode (i havent tried CD, i never use CD mode).

Im very new to car audio stuff and planning to fix it myself, but i have no idea what cause the hiss and needed some help. I tried to do some research but most hissing problem that i found is related to external power amp, which i dont have. Also, ive read somewhere that it might be because the tweeter wiring is close to an electric window/electric mirror motor but im not very sure. Or maybe i have to set up gain in my head unit, even though i dont think my pioneer HU has gain settings, or maybe there is but i just dont understand where/how.

Sorry for the long explanation, but basicly what im asking is, what is causes the static hiss in my set up? Was it the tweeter wiring? Head unit? Or maybe anything else? And how to fix it?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
396 Posts
The new tweeters are likely more sensitive than the factory ones, so you may just be hearing it better than before. If you put your ear near the other tweeters, can you hear the hiss?
Looking at the user manual, it appears that you bought a DVD player with a screen that just so happens to have an audio section. There are 2 pages of 55 dedicated to the audio. You have a 7 band EQ, balance, fader, and 1 set of RCA pre-outs for a subwoofer amplifier.
This is not a H/U that I would use for the foundation of an audio system

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Is everything louder than before at the same volume level? Most likely the new tweeter has a higher sensitivity resulting in more output and, in turn, more audible noise.

I’ve run into that before. Though, typically everything in my car is amplified and I can turn the gains down to reduce the hiss.

I’m not familiar with that set and don’t see an option to attenuate the tweeter. You could add an L pad to the tweeter or component set. Tweeter only L pad may throw off the balance of the component set.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Brio E CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is everything louder than before at the same volume level? Most likely the new tweeter has a higher sensitivity resulting in more output and, in turn, more audible noise.

I’ve run into that before. Though, typically everything in my car is amplified and I can turn the gains down to reduce the hiss.

I’m not familiar with that set and don’t see an option to attenuate the tweeter. You could add an L pad to the tweeter or component set. Tweeter only L pad may throw off the balance of the component set.
At the same volume level , i dont think they sound louder than before. i always put my volume at 10 and it always sound the same. Maybe as you said, my tweeters just have much more sensitivity so theres much more noise also. Maybe the best option for me now is to buy an amp.

Im not familiar either with attenuating the tweeters nor adding an L Pad, but i'll try to dig into it. Thanks by the way

·
Registered
2019 Honda Brio E CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new tweeters are likely more sensitive than the factory ones, so you may just be hearing it better than before. If you put your ear near the other tweeters, can you hear the hiss?
Looking at the user manual, it appears that you bought a DVD player with a screen that just so happens to have an audio section. There are 2 pages of 55 dedicated to the audio. You have a 7 band EQ, balance, fader, and 1 set of RCA pre-outs for a subwoofer amplifier.
Yes, i can hear the noise coming from both tweeters. And as you said, maybe its because the tweeters are more sensitive. Especially my car doesnt have tweeters stock, it came only with a really crappy coax.

And as for the HU, i have to agree thats more like dvd than audio player. But to be fair, thats the cheapest one i found that support back up cam at that time. Looking back, i kinda regret it though, i should have just bought a better one. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Brio E CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind that just an upgrade to the HU is not going to be the end lol. You need an amp for sure...
Im going to get an amp first for sure, then the HU. But im still kinda confused, my speakers are all 60w rms, and the amp im planning to get can put out 50w nominal rms.
So is 50w rms enough or should i get a 60w rms amp to match the speakers?

·
Registered
396 Posts
This is where the rabbit hole begins. When I plan a system, potential future upgrades are always a deciding factor for me. Will that 50 watts be enough when you want to upgrade the speakers? Power is cheap these days, I'd have a minimum 100 watts per channel for the current 60w speakers. A 50 watt amp will have the gains much higher than a 100 watt amp. Less distortion, more headroom. The 50 watt amp will already be out of steam before you get your full $$$ worth of the 60 watt speakers.
Also, keep in mind that there is the potential for the hiss to also be present on the RCA's from the head unit. The hiss would be amplified along with the music. None of the reviews I mentioned earlier specified if they were using the HU built-in amp, or an external one. This is why I say "potential".

Just to be transparent... asking for help and replying every 5 or 8 days isn't going to keep me very interested in volunteering my time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
At the same volume level , i dont think they sound louder than before. i always put my volume at 10 and it always sound the same. Maybe as you said, my tweeters just have much more sensitivity so theres much more noise also. Maybe the best option for me now is to buy an amp.

Im not familiar either with attenuating the tweeters nor adding an L Pad, but i'll try to dig into it. Thanks by the way
Did you ever figure this out? I replaced my factory speakers on a VW Tiguan with Infinity Kappa 6.5 components and there is a definite hiss coming from the tweeter. I've tried putting several different sizes of resistors and capacitors in the positive line going to the tweeter, and none really seemed to help. Would love some suggestions!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Right, the new tweeters have a higher sensitivity and pick up more noise from the head unit. SO, how do you make the tweeters LESS sensitive? Resistors? Capacitors?

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
If it hisses when tThe engine if is off it is likely the amplifier noise floor.
if there were RCA outputs and ithisses into earbids then you would know fir sure it was the HU.

If it hisses on the quiet between tracks, then it is not from needing more watts. (50W intro a tweeter is massive)

You’ll need some trouble shooting plan and a general plan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.