DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the replacement of my LPG26nafm's because the crossover point they need to work at is much higher than anything that would remotely match with it. So what tweeters out there are just as good as this tweeter if not better for the price or just a little more. I want a relatively low crossover point, and a very clean, detailed, and extended top end. If i can find a tweet that can crossover low enough i want to use the Peerless HDS Excl. 8", but it can't match with the LPG so i need to find a replacement for the tweeter, look in the next few days for a for-sale post for them and my vifa p17's. I hate to get rid of the LPG though i love that tweeter.

Suggestions on tweets that are just as good if not better and have a lower xover point?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think the MaxFi neo comes very close to the LPG as far as top end, and can do a *slightly* better crossover point.....

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the thing is if i can get away with the xover point with the LPG then i will be very happy, alot of people don't think i can with the 8" which i want to use, but possibly the 7", madisound people wont know untill they build it and actually listen to it to see if it sounds good or not. If i had to say that i would be getting rid of it, and was going to use the 8" then i would say 1-2k, and even there i'm not exactly sure as i don't think anyones done any tests on the 8", and minor tests on the 7", which the 7" can go 2-3k max.

I would have to say 1-2k xover point though, i did read dangs review on the Neo30 and he said it can get a little spitty at high volumes using a low xover, Dayton ref also comes to mind, which would be a nice driver to use but the 60/each sorta dosent set well with me.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice tweet there minitruck, does look awesome, and for 36 a pair i dunno if i could go wrong with even trying it lol. This is really getting to me i think because i had just planned to replace the xover and mid, not the whole shoot and match.....IF i knew the 7" would work flawlessly with the LPG i would go ahead and get it but i wouldn't even know till they designed it, and then i'm sorta stuck i'd think.

·
Registered
531 Posts
the northcreek is a nice tweeter.....almost sounds like a metallic dome....

only problem is....madisound won't design you a crossover for it :)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well yea that does bring up a problem, damn't i need to figure out how to build crossovers and i wont have this problem.

Dayton Ref Tweet seems like a winner to me as well, but i can't have one made for that one either.

Why does this have to be so complicated?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea and Biamping the fronts would too, doing this would cost an arm and a leg though. MAn ol man. I'd rather get away building my own passives and trying to get them right, than going active and spending so much money that way. :(

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
In that first link the Seas 27TBFCG is highly regarded. but on the frequency response graphs there is a huge drop b/w 10k and 15k and then right back up at 16k for some air, and then straight back down, how could you flatten this response up some, or would it really not be heard like it shows.... I know you can talor the response with the crossover as you'd like too.

Also where could i find this tweeter, i didn't see that madisound even had them. Solen may, i havn't checked there yet. But this dosent help the idea that i need to build my own crossover if madisound dosn't carry them.

Seas H1212 would be it by there numbering.

NM i found it searching H1212. Would they be able to build a xover for that tweeter and the mid of my choice?

·
Registered
531 Posts
dude.

building crossovers is super easy.

once you get a schematic...i can help you out....that's the part you should be sweating about the least :)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea i know hehe, I've decided on a route to take, I may keep the LPG's for later if a project comes up and i'd like to have a tweet for it, i just can't bring myself to getting rid of it, too nice.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html
Seas 27TBFCG / Seas L18 Combo
Crossover is listed on site, Once i sell some of the stuff on my Forsale post, that is if i can, i'm going to go that route. Though i hate to sell the Vifa, and leave the LPG withuout a partner for however long.

:(

But thats a fairly cheep nice setup right there. 150 for mid's 60 tweet, not sure price of xover parts, but wouldn't expect too much. 5 x2 Resistors 2 Caps/2 Ind x2

Should be a very nice setup for the price.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
The strange looking FR curve is due to the nearfield measurement... it will smoothen out considerably at 1m distance.

However, the 27tbfcg has a pretty steep off-axis rolloff which I didn't like.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A slight Toe in Should add a little to the offaxis abilities shouldn't it. Primary listening position is exactly straight in front of the TV, centered. The Toe in should have them just a few degrees, at least 10degrees off center.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts