DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have an extra set of tweets, dayton air motion tweets...should I put the extra set in the rear? Heres my layout:

car is a gto, has 6.5" silver flutes in the doors, 2.5" mid ranges in the dash, and getting dayton amt's in the dash with the mid ranges....the rear has 6.5" silver flutes in the side panels (in the rear quarter panels by the passengers feet) the rear deck has (2) 8" subs.

the midranges and tweets are running on headunit power (15w rms) and so would the rear tweets. Silver flutes are on 4x100 punch power series amp.

would running tweets in the rear be too much? My headunit does have auto eq and time alignment too, btw.

· Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you just want loud, maybe so. If you value SQ and stereo soundstage, then definitely not.
Yea I prefer sq, and a front soundstage...but the silverflutes in the rear sound like poop with no high end. Of course i can turn the gain lower and adjust time alignment to fudge things a little...if I add tweets

So I need to add, i had a set of 6.5" mb quart separates in the rear with tweets on brackets i made that basically made the speakers like a coaxial...it sounded better with the tweets back there and I had a good sound stage even with no tweets in the front....I could hear the tweets from the rear but somehow they were undetectable where the sound was coming from...more so from the front somehow. maybe i could throw the mb quart tweets back there again because they arent over bearing and they arent as loud as the air motion tweets....and they are still smooth sounding.

· Registered
8,014 Posts
Yea I prefer sq, and a front soundstage...but the silverflutes in the rear sound like poop with no high end. Of course i can turn the gain lower and adjust time alignment to fudge things a little...

So I need to add, i had a set of 6.5" mb quart separates in the rear with tweets on brackets i made that basically made the speakers like a coaxial...it sounded better with the tweets back there and I had a good sound stage even with no tweets in the front....I could hear the tweets from the rear but somehow they were undetectable where the sound was coming from...more so from the front somehow. maybe i could throw the mb quart tweets back there again because they arent over bearing and they arent as loud as the air motion tweets....and they are still smooth sounding.
Above all, what matters most are your tastes and preferences, and how it sounds to you. :)

· Registered
Challenger 392
77 Posts
I think it's really up to you. Just test them out and see if they sound good to your ears.

You said you liked having them before so it comes down to would you like having two sets of tweets running at once. It also gives you the option of swapping which ones are playing too.

· Registered
1,853 Posts
Agreed. A lot of people here run no rear speakers, let alone rear tweeters.

I'm personally fond of virtually no rear tweeter.i hardly like rear mids. But a lot of it depends on if you have people in the back seat you care about. If you never use the back seat, you won't care. But if you carry your kids around back there, you might want full rear speakers. That's a benefit of a lot of the newer cars out there, they have DSP that time aligns for both rows, vs just focusing on the driver and maybe passenger.

· Banned
811 Posts
Here's what I suggest for rear "fill" in a simple system without an upmixer:

1. Full range speakers (100Hz - 20kHz). These don't HAVE to play to 100Hz, but they shouldn't play any lower than that.
2. Send stereo to the rear speakers. Not differential signal (no L-R). L-R sounds phasy and strange to me.
3. Remove big peaks in the response of the rear speakers with your EQ.
4. With the front speakers playing, turn up the rear speakers until you hear them distinctly--they should start to move the stage rearward.
5. Add delay to the rear speakers until the front stage is anchored to the front of the car. This will probably be between 12 and 20mS or so.
6. Adjust the level of the rear speakers until you hear a sense of space around you without any change to the sound in the front of the car. You may like more or less.

· Registered
1,402 Posts
Here's what I suggest for rear "fill" in a simple system without an upmixer:

1. Full range speakers (100Hz - 20kHz). These don't HAVE to play to 100Hz, but they shouldn't play any lower than that.
2. Send stereo to the rear speakers. Not differential signal (no L-R). L-R sounds phasy and strange to me.
3. Remove big peaks in the response of the rear speakers with your EQ.
4. With the front speakers playing, turn up the rear speakers until you hear them distinctly--they should start to move the stage rearward.
5. Add delay to the rear speakers until the front stage is anchored to the front of the car. This will probably be between 12 and 20mS or so.
6. Adjust the level of the rear speakers until you hear a sense of space around you without any change to the sound in the front of the car. You may like more or less.
Been doing similar to that all the way back in the 90's when I got into car audio. Never understood why so many cant figure this out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.