DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought these were interesting. They also list the F1 set, so I wonder how different these are from the F1, and why we are not offered them?

DLX-F30T

DLX-Z30T

in comp set

Not to mention nearly all the HUs having either optical, coax, or both digital outputs. The CDA-9939J has both. Frackers, where's ours? http://www.alpine.co.jp/alpine/products/audio

·
Registered
415 Posts
G

·
Those Alpine drivers are easily the most fascinating I've seen in a long time.
The tweeter is completely different from the HiVi (circular ribbon) and might be a distant relative of the custom Vifa/SS ring radiator used by Sonus. It could well be a DST product. Closer inspection (Damn, if I could only read Japanese :mad: ) shows quite a different animal. It uses two! VC's, on the inner and outer edge of a toroid diaphram. The standard ring uses only one, attached to two toroids anchored in the center with a phase plug. It should be very interesting to see the performance of this driver (power handling, low end, etc.).
The woofers appear to use JBL's Differential Drive technology : http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/JBL_TN 1-33 rev3.pdf
which would simply be awesome, if true. Very interesting suspension also. Kinda hard for me to see whats going on in some of those illustrations.
I suspect the "F" series could be ferrite magnets, while the "Z"s are neodymium.
The center channel driver appears to be an inverted cone (walsh maybe?) type driver with a central mounted coaxial tweeter!!
should have very wide dispersion and little cone effect on the tweeter.
Even the "normal" coax's look interesting. I'd say Alpine is really pushing the performance envelope with these units. Some rather novel thinking going on that could result in some state of the art drivers. We'll see how they sound :) .
I'll be watching thse closely.

Cheers,

AJ

(sorry, no time to check any spelling with this quick, lunch time post ;) )

·
Registered
757 Posts
Can these tweets be bought separately? Also, any specs listed anywhere? Looks interesting, I'm always interested to see a new ring radiator tweet....

Where can we source JDM items from? Our US dollar works out to our advantage right now........

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Use this site
http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com

and you have to insert each individual page to view in somewhat English

That unit you listed also has a 30GB HD in it.

In the table at the bottom, the 9939J has both optical and coax digital outputs.

CD/CD-R RW playback MP3/WMA playback SIGNAL-TO-NOISE RATIO 105dB REGULATED 1bit DAC
Digital COAX-OUT * Defeat MAX TUNE SQ CD-TEXT
ID3 Tag AI CHG control V-Link (AUX-IN) Rotary encoder
Wireless remote control Optical digital output CD sound recording correspondence * 4V Pre-OUT
3Pre-OUT Chinese character/katakana title indication

newtitan said:
where do you see the CDA-9939J having optical output?

but if you really want to be impressed

a dual din alpine dvd/navigation

http://www.alpine.co.jp/alpine/products/navigation/hd55/ina-hd55.html

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
FocusInCali said:
.... why we are not offered them?
Not to mention nearly all the HUs having either optical, coax, or both digital outputs. The CDA-9939J has both. Frackers, where's ours?
We could get all of this stuff in the US if we spent the big bucks for it.
You know what they say about this market..."Americans want cheap flashy products"

There is so much high end car audio that is in Japan that is not sold over here.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not anymore. They emailed me back saying they are focusing on their speakers now.

·
Registered
258 Posts
that tweeter looks the same as all of the other ring radiators except that it's got a brass phase plug instead of black.

·
Registered
757 Posts
sure ring radiators all "look" the same, just like all domw tweets look the same.......that DOESN'T mean they perform the same....

G

·
that tweeter looks the same as all of the other ring radiators except that it's got a brass phase plug instead of black.
Jim, look closer, they are not the same at all. These Alpines use 2 VC formers (dual winding kinda like the JBL DD, single run of wire) to drive the (toroid) diaphram on its inner and outer edge. It's quite different from the Scan/Vifa RR's. I also had a chance to do some translations last night. The woofers are not JBL DD's (dual coil windings/single former) as I thought. They use a (single) short coil / long (dual) gap motor. These could be proprietary Alpine units. I'd still like to see that technology become available here stateside at some point. Looks rather promising IMHO.

Cheers,

AJ

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. Up until this point, all of the XT-type ring radiators that I've seen were all very similar, with no real differences other than cosmetics. The dual VC formers sound like a pretty interesting design. It seems like exciting a diaphragm from two independant sources would result in a whole new host of issues that would need to be overcome, resulting in more problems than it cures. It certainly would be interesting to see some measurements on these tweeters.

·
Registered
113 Posts
WLDock said:
We could get all of this stuff in the US if we spent the big bucks for it.
You know what they say about this market..."Americans want cheap flashy products"

There is so much high end car audio that is in Japan that is not sold over here.
Yeap. Pioneer has a total diff line of car audio equipment over their too. So does kenwood, panasonic, sony etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts