DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a set of a/d/s/ PX tweeters which crossover relatively low compared to most component sets they pair up these days... I believe the a/d/s/ crossovers are a 12db/octave @ 2.5khz, and I have heard people running them at 2.25khz with good success... I am confused, I thought that the 800hz - 3khz region was really important for the human ear, at least with our voice being in that general reigon (female vocals?)...

I'm not going to pretend I know what is best, and I'm sure it's alot of subjectivity... but basically, what gives, what's your preference and why?

From my limited hearing experience, I am not a fan of tweets crossed over high because I think the 1khz - 3khz range suffers at least from my listening to the "highest end" Boston Acoustic and JL Audio component sets which are both mini tweets...

Not to detract from the question at hand, but I'm a salesman at the store, and our mobile installer had never heard of "balanced" interconnects... I winced and got a set from the front and showed him... made no connection... "so what are those good for?" yeah... my faith in packaged sets of speakers... destroyed.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
It is important, which IMHO is why you'd want to cross over in that region. Most tweeters begin to stress more as you pass 2.5-2khz, and most mids suffer from cone breakup/and or beaming. So most people opt for around 2-2.5khz as a crossover point, to avoid any driver issues in that frequency range which our ears are very sensitive to.

Now some would argue that putting a crossover right in the middle of where your ears are most sensitive would "ruin" or "color" the midrange coherency.... but I would rather listen to a crossover in that region anyday over a speaker being stressed beyond it's limits.

·
Registered
415 Posts
npdang said:
but I would rather listen to a crossover in that region anyday over a speaker being stressed beyond it's limits.
yeah..well designed crossovers seem seemless while stressed speakers are just really bad.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you implying ANY crossover in that region? Or a passive one which I thought would add some phase problems compared to an active?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts