DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pride myself on searching before asking a question, and I did search for this. I tried "two amps one sub" and "two amps svc". The word "two" is too common so it got dropped, and so I got tons of threads.

I have read it is not recommended to run two sub amps to each voice coil on a DVC sub. However, I have a 500/5 (which I have to have so I can run proper rear fill), a 300/2, and an extra 250/1. I just won the DIYMA sub on the Father's Day story thread, and I just received and IDQ12v2 in the mail today.

I am afraid the 250w won't be enough for the DIYMA. So I was curious if I could run the 250w from the 500/5 and the 250w from the 250/1 to the sub for 500w output. I am sure there is something HUGE I am not thinking about which would cause this not to work, but for the life of me, right now I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

help!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Nope. The sub channel of the 500/5 and the 250/1 are not strappable. You could do it with a DVC subwoofer, but getting the gains to match throughout the frequency range can be a challenge.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what am I missing here? I was thinking I could put the wires from both amps to the single set of inputs on the sub. Set each amp for 250w output and they would both be delivering it to the sub which would see 500w total. Why would that not work?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
The two amps outputs do not want to make electrical contact with each other which they would be to a single voice coil. Two amps can only be used on a dual voice coil or if the amps are designed to be strapped which the JL's aren't.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And there it is. Thank you. I knew that, but for some reason, it wasn't coming to me as the WHY! All I could think once it was in my head was WHY NOT!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
789 Posts
JL Audio 5005 5-Channel Class AB Amplifier

250 W RMS @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm

JL Audio 2501 1-Channel Class D Amplifier

250 W RMS @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm

Too much other vague **** going on also.

At what levels do these two types of Class amplifiers deal with this moving rail voltage.

From the hip on this one. don't do it, stop thinking about it will be trouble.

If you had (2) 500.5 or 2 250.1 then maybe.

One would have to series the (2) amp/section in question.

Then you might need a phase inverter for one of the amps <ie 180* shift>.

With a 4 ohm driver both amps would see half the load <2 ohms each>.

I remember this kind of stuff being done years ago, but only with Class AB amplifiers.

I have no idea what would happen with Class D.

I you were thinking of paralleling the outputs you will gain nothing at 4 ohms.

Get a bigger amplifier

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Actually the sub channel on the 500/5 is class D also, in fact I'm sure it's just a 250/1 in reality, but it doesn't really matter since it can't be hooked up to the same voice coil as a 250/1. Just thought I'd correct that.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I pride myself on searching before asking a question, and I did search for this. I tried "two amps one sub" and "two amps svc". The word "two" is too common so it got dropped, and so I got tons of threads.

I have read it is not recommended to run two sub amps to each voice coil on a DVC sub. However, I have a 500/5 (which I have to have so I can run proper rear fill), a 300/2, and an extra 250/1. I just won the DIYMA sub on the Father's Day story thread, and I just received and IDQ12v2 in the mail today.

I am afraid the 250w won't be enough for the DIYMA. So I was curious if I could run the 250w from the 500/5 and the 250w from the 250/1 to the sub for 500w output. I am sure there is something HUGE I am not thinking about which would cause this not to work, but for the life of me, right now I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

help!
I've run both these subs on about 300 watts into 4 ohms and unless you listen at really loud levels you may be okay w/ 250 into the DIYMA12. The IDQ12v2d2 is just a tad more efficient. Nice thing is that you can make a 1 cuft gross sealed box and try either of these subs in the same enclosure. Even the screw holes match up.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I was planning to go ported though to gain the efficiency. I will look at it tomorrow and see if I can find a good compromise for both in box size/tuning and try them both out. I have almost 3cu/ft. of room in the false floor I am making so I can go big on both and eq back out anything I need and gain a bit of headroom (not that I would go THAT big). I will try modeling them up tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the input everybody.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Actually the sub channel on the 500/5 is class D also, in fact I'm sure it's just a 250/1 in reality, but it doesn't really matter since it can't be hooked up to the same voice coil as a 250/1. Just thought I'd correct that.

I did not see the sub channel was Class D on 500.5.

Because it is D and does other funky voltage things.

Still not a good idea.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've run both these subs on about 300 watts into 4 ohms and unless you listen at really loud levels you may be okay w/ 250 into the DIYMA12. The IDQ12v2d2 is just a tad more efficient. Nice thing is that you can make a 1 cuft gross sealed box and try either of these subs in the same enclosure. Even the screw holes match up.
Was there a huge SQ difference between the two? I have ready many a/b threads on them, but few running so close the wattage to what I will be giving. I will be running 720prs mids and SPX pro tweets active up front, with the 520prs mids time delayed and center channel removed for rear fill. Going for best SQ I can get.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Really the DIYMAs intention is to be the kind of sub that when its playing you question whether or not its actually playing. Not until you turn the sub off do you realize that it actually was. Depending on the vehicle 250 watts could be plenty or like you said you could always go ported if you're worried about output.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I actually briefly ran a 500/5 and a 250/1 on a 10w6v2d4. It sounded great until the 500/5 went bad. So it is definitely possible with a DVC sub. But as stated before, not possible on a SVC sub.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I actually briefly ran a 500/5 and a 250/1 on a 10w6v2d4. It sounded great until the 500/5 went bad. So it is definitely possible with a DVC sub. But as stated before, not possible on a SVC sub.
Yep, definitely possible to do it on a DVC. Get the outputs to match as close as possible to maximize the efficiency of the sub. The problem is that it may not be immediately obvious to some people if one of the amps stops working. Then you're only driving one coil, which should diminish the output and change the Qts of the system. Then you're like, "wtf happened to my sound?" Some people may not notice for a while, and then they'd try to compensate by turning up the volume and then you could overpower the sub...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts