DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two things i have never quite figured out since becoming involved with mobile audio 20+ years ago-

1) why would one ever use a remote control for the head unit (unless one is in the back seat, and at that point SQ ain't on the mind)? but seriously, I have had these remotes for head units for at least 15 years and the last thing i need to do is fumble with a remote while driving, especially when the "unit" is within arm's reach. I tried to use them but after 5 minutes they wind up in the glove box never to be touched again-
therefore, who uses them with any regularity and for what purpose?

2) why on God's green earth do people put expensive, un-protected (no grills) drivers anywhere near the foot wells of a vehicle, where even in the best of climates wet muddy feet will surely come in frequent contact with these precious instruments of sound reproduction? what good is imaging and sound stage when your GF comes along and accidentally impales one with her fashionably pointy boot? i mean i look at my floor mats after a winter's worth of driving and i doubt a speaker exists that wouldn't have become a salty, crusty bloated mess of a speaker cone if it were mounted anywhere within range.

·
Registered
120 Posts
1. Never used a remote and never understood why they came with units, should be optional to keep price down.
2. havn't had a driver without a grill since a friend kicked my 165V2 mid and dented the phase plug looking center. Luckily a vacuum cleaner fixed that.

I've never used a sub grill, and have never had an issue in my trunk either strangley enough

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hate remotes, half the time I can't find it, have to point it directly at the deck, there's a lag after pressing the button, using it for volume it always goes way past where I want it and it usually ends up on my lap then on the ground when I get out of the car. Now I have just as many remotes in the car as in my house. Need voice activation

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Control from outside the car for SPL?
Or. with doors open, tailgate type party.. control the music

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's cheaper to replace a worn out remote than to replace, or have repaired, the buttons on an already expensive SQ deck.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It's cheaper to replace a worn out remote than to replace, or have repaired, the buttons on an already expensive SQ deck.
+1 on what the previous poster said.

Of course, I'm also one of those "never used a remote in the car" people, so it's all about personal preference in the end. ;)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
when I had my RX7 I had the pioneer deh-m400 deck. it came with a remote that small and it mounted to the steering wheel really well. the best part of it was that you could point that thing in any direction and it would work. so I had a poor mans steering wheel control. :D the best thing was when I was adjusting things from the back of the car and I couldnt reach the HU, I would still turn it up/down, etc.

for my new alpine, I dont use it much. you have to point it exactly at the HU or it doesnt work and it is not designed to fit in your hand very well. when you hold it, you cant reach the volume buttons very well, which is what you use the most.

never had speakers that didnt have grills. didnt want to damage them and did want people to look in and see what I had.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
when I had my RX7 I had the pioneer deh-m400 deck. it came with a remote that small and it mounted to the steering wheel really well. the best part of it was that you could point that thing in any direction and it would work. so I had a poor mans steering wheel control. :D
Was that the little oval looking remote? I used to have one of those as well.

When I had a DEH-6800, there were certain things that you could only do with the remote, pause was one of them. Having said that my main purpose for the remote became to amuse my children. Toddler starts getting bored in the back seat, hand them the remote, keeps the amused while they think its funny to change station/song/volume etc.

·
Registered
840 Posts
^^This and, I've gotten used to the feel of my remote and have it velcroed (?) to the side of my console. So, I can grab it and perform most operations without taking my eyes off the road.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My HU has a ****ty remote that can't navigate the iPod at all. It can only skip, pause, adjust volume, and input radio stations. Absolutely useless IMO. I lost it, but couldn't care less. My thought has always been that the remote would be nice to control the stereo from the back seat, but without any navigation options, it's useless. Once this HU gets put into the boat the remote will come in handy if I can ever find it.

I'm always scared when I see the open drivers in people's vehicles on here, they look nice, but I would be scared to damage them. I use my Denali to tow all of our toys, so frequently my salt water covered feet get taken straight from the boat launch to the footwell, any salt water on a paper coned driver could be disastrous.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love the remote because you get used to the feel and never have to look at the radio or keep your hand on it. With ipod nav now the norm, my Alpine CDA-117 remote was worthless(the faceplate isn't much better). I bought a Sony DSX-S310BTX that came with a real remote that controls EVERYTHING. It makes navigating the head unit a breeze. I would even say it's a much better deck than the Alpine. (yep I just compared Sony to Alpine)

I'm with you on the exposed drivers.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I pretty much ONLY use my remote. Once you get the feel of it you can operate while keeping your eyes on the road. A matter of fact I can not operate my HU without the remote without using the manual.

The main reason I use the remote is to prevent scratches and wearing out the knobs. Helps alot with resale value. less expensive to replace the remote than the faceplate.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
i like this speaker placement in an F250.

F250 - F250 SQ Comp. Truck '09 USACi World Champion, INAC 2nd, MECA MODEX 4th

he probably put another one on the seat, right where he sits.
Iirc he has a pretty good grill on that and has floor mats over them.

The only remotes I've had have been worthless. They were too small to be of any use and got lost too easily. On my current HU I'm glad it has the option to control the iPod from the iPod. Nothing worse to me than trying to scroll through my music with a two line HU display. I only use my iPod (well iPhone to be exact) anymore anyway and the only thing on the HU I use is the volume control.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I never liked any of the remotes that came with my HU's. I have used them while sitting in the bed of the truck though.

I also prefer running grills. Speakers are too fragile and people who know nothing about audio always feel the need to touch speakers/subs or push down on the cone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts