DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not intend to do this, but have seen a few builds go this route. Is there really an advantage on adding an extra pair of components to the front stage rather then going with a dedicated mid bass? I've seen some people say they plan to get a pair of 6.5 components installed on the doors and another pair on the kickss. Wouldn't it be better to get a dedicated mid bass and install it on the kicks and then raise the xover point on the 6.5 driver (passive component set) so it can do mid range duties and sound more clear/loud doing it? I can imagine a dedicated 6.5" or 8" mid bass being a better choice rather then installing a second pair of components. Am I the only one that thinks this or what? I'd like to know the advantages/disadvantages of both setups assuming the 2 sets of 6.5 components are off a 150x4 amp and the dedicated mid bass setup with it's own 2 channels of power. Feedback would be great since my search didn't come across this questionn, thanks.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
2 pairs of components for the front stage = phase and cancellation issues.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I do not intend to do this, but have seen a few builds go this route. Is there really an advantage on adding an extra pair of components to the front stage rather then going with a dedicated mid bass? I've seen some people say they plan to get a pair of 6.5 components installed on the doors and another pair on the kickss. Wouldn't it be better to get a dedicated mid bass and install it on the kicks and then raise the xover point on the 6.5 driver (passive component set) so it can do mid range duties and sound more clear/loud doing it? I can imagine a dedicated 6.5" or 8" mid bass being a better choice rather then installing a second pair of components. Am I the only one that thinks this or what? I'd like to know the advantages/disadvantages of both setups assuming the 2 sets of 6.5 components are off a 150x4 amp and the dedicated mid bass setup with it's own 2 channels of power. Feedback would be great since my search didn't come across this questionn, thanks.

Patrick Bateman just posted something about putting two midbass drivers into the door in order to overcome an issue where you have a null at like...100hz and then a peak an octave above. Apparently from what I understood that can be a way to fix that issue. Not sure if both drivers need to stay in the door or if they can be in different places. Maybe just for looks too?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Patrick Bateman just posted something about putting two midbass drivers into the door in order to overcome an issue where you have a null at like...100hz and then a peak an octave above. Apparently from what I understood that can be a way to fix that issue. Not sure if both drivers need to stay in the door or if they can be in different places. Maybe just for looks too?

Which post are you referring to, can you link me? Thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 7 of 7 Posts