DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search, but to no avail. If you know of a prev. thread let me know.

I have the space in my hatch for a twelve, or for (2) 10's. These will be in sealed enclosures regardless of which way I end up with (have the 12 now).

Question: all else equal, what are the pros and cons of (2) 10's v. (1) 12?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
First if you already have the 12, use it. Save the money. :)

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
You have two major issues. One is the Fs of the driver, the lower it is typically the lower that sub will play or can play. The larger the sub the (usually) lower the Fs will be, for similar built subs.

The other issue is cone area, the more you have the more output you get. More xmax works the same way.

One 12 is about 113 sq in of area and two 10s is about 157 sq in.

Now all subs are different and made to do different things. For average subs you might get with the 12 better SQ because it will play lower. The pair of 10s may go louder because of more cone area but not play as low. Sure you might tune the 12 higher and it will play close to as loud as the 10s but is still less cone area. It might come really close if you vented the 12 and did not vent the 10s, because venting (ported) increases efficiency you get more output.

For example I've run a lot of quad 10s IB, quad 12s, and now pair of 15s. I went to the 15s because they have an Fs of 20Hz with an IB tune (high qts). Much lower Fs than 10s and 12s, they can reach down to close to that Fs in use. A box changes your Fs more or less, but with IB it is the tune of the sub. I wanted to get close to 20Hz, it was the only way really and in the deal I got the extra output of the larger cone area so I could drop down to a pair compared to the quads. It is a little less than the quad 12s but not a lot. Given all these subs were similar build average xmax, nothing particularly special. Although to get output at 30Hz and less you do need more cone area and/or xmax because your hearing drops off so much.

If it were me I would make a ported box for the 12 and try that, since it would be around the same size as dual sealed 10s anyway and you have it sitting there. But if you like 10s then maybe that would work better for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts