DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just bought some speedwire and was wondering what the typical front/rear left/right colors are. I know it really doesn't matter a whole lot as long as they're the same on both sides, but I want to use the typical colors for each channel.

So the colors in the speedwire are violet, white, green and gray with their accompanying black stripe counterparts.

Tomorrow I'm going to be running my rear 2 channels from my OEM radio to my LOC, thus only using 4 wires, but I want to use the correct colors.

Thanks in advance!

Pics for reference:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here's a reference - one of many available.

Car Wire Color Codes

However, insulation color coding is an abitrary thing for most all electrical wiring - as shown by how much each car manufacturer varies from the others. Some circuit applications, such as +Vcc, remote, or switched +Vcc, might be the same between several or many cars, but there isn't any standard.

For this application, a more important thing to observe than color itself would be the consistent marking/separation of positive and negative leads for each pair of wires.

In fact, for most wiring, there usually aren't any requirements for wire insulation color, unless it's something that is specified in a building or installation code - like white is reserved by the NEC (NFPA70) for the grounded current carrying conductor (neutral) in low voltage AC systems.

If you want to follow insulation color codes, a good place to search is ICEA (Insulated Cable Engineers Association).

Hope this helps,
John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John. I understand what you're saying. However, I was thinking more along the lines of what, say, a Metra adapter would use for their color coding. But I think I just answered my own question, I looked up the manual to an Alpine head unit and this is what they show:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts