DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been sitting around wondering really WTF am I going to do with my set of "unbalanced" ultra caps ??? I'm kind of doubting that Skyhigh Audio would take them back after two months in spite of the fact they are still literally shrink wrapped in the heavy plastic they came in... Hmmmm.

So this morning, I open up Youtube, and EXO, a car stereo guy that I have followed for years, has a new video on Ultra caps. I mean, of all of the things he could have made a video about !? What perfect timing.

The set of caps EXO was testing ARE internally balanced ! They are literally plug and play. I am SO tempted to drop another $400 on one of these..... but then I'm still stuck with my bank of 6 unbalanced caps :( Then, when you consider that I have had a life long jinx with selling anything used, to begin with.... I swear if I have something worth $300, I can't get $50 for it :( Anyway, that's a whole other story.

Here's the video....

And here's the cap bank

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
I'd give 50$ for them.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd give 50$ for them.
And you'd probably be the high bidder !
But hey, if I die with those in my closet, so be it.
As it turns out, I've had a kick ass day at work...
I made $500 in 7 hrs... So I think that balanced, plug and play unit I posted the link to is supposed to be mine 😉

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Do I hear $270 😀 lol

But in all seriousness, I'd sell them for $200 + S/H.

But hey, did you guys watch the video I posted ? I talked with Jacob (the original guy at Showtime car audio, who just partnered with EXO this morning.... Told him what I had, and what I was hoping to improve upon, and he felt like this was exactly what ultracapacitors would be best for. Also, this bank is designed to work with a system just about the size of mine.
Probably order them tomorrow morning.

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
I think I am pullling the trigger on a battery sized unit... a lot more $, but it looks easy.
Your capacitor pack may be ideal for the fellow with the lambo?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been sitting around wondering really WTF am I going to do with my set of "unbalanced" ultra caps ??? I'm kind of doubting that Skyhigh Audio would take them back after two months in spite of the fact they are still literally shrink wrapped in the heavy plastic they came in... Hmmmm.

So this morning, I open up Youtube, and EXO, a car stereo guy that I have followed for years, has a new video on Ultra caps. I mean, of all of the things he could have made a video about !? What perfect timing.

The set of caps EXO was testing ARE internally balanced ! They are literally plug and play. I am SO tempted to drop another $400 on one of these..... but then I'm still stuck with my bank of 6 unbalanced caps :( Then, when you consider that I have had a life long jinx with selling anything used, to begin with.... I swear if I have something worth $300, I can't get $50 for it :( Anyway, that's a whole other story.

Here's the video....

And here's the cap bank
I immediately thought of you after watching this.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I am pullling the trigger on a battery sized unit... a lot more $, but it looks easy.
Your capacitor pack may be ideal for the fellow with the lambo?
Well, that's what I should have done to begin with. Would have saved lots of time and hassle.... and $. But live and learn, right ? Hey, have you seen the Xs Power version ? Even a little more pricey... but basically the same thing, pre packaged and balanced. Doesn't have the Bluetooth feature, or fancy littler indicator lights, but these are 500 farads, instead of 375.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Goddammit Chris. You are so close yet so far. You have the cells- they just need a balanced charger
Yea... I know. Kills me. But trying to add a balancing system would just be a whole other can of worms, and at the end of the day, I still wouldn't feel as safe running them, as I would a factory built setup.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yea... I know. Kills me. But trying to add a balancing system would just be a whole other can of worms, and at the end of the day, I still wouldn't feel as safe running them, as I would a factory built setup.
The Xs power cap bank will be the exact same thing as you have bought with balance boards fitted

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Xs power cap bank will be the exact same thing as you have bought with balance boards fitted
Yep. I think the other one I'm looking at is very similar too... but probably holds two extra caps, hence the slightly less Farads (375)

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
The Maxwell version is limited to 25A charging... which supports my theory from a week ago that the balancing cannot be overly fast.

I think you may want to investigate it all pretty thoroughly.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Maxwell version is limited to 25A charging... which supports my theory from a week ago that the balancing cannot be overly fast.

I think you may want to investigate it all pretty thoroughly.
What ??? That's like a freaking trickle charge ? A stock alternator is going to put out 90+ amps ? Doesn't even sound useable for most car audio applications.
I mean, yes, I will check on that, but that just doesn't even seem right.

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
I read the spec sheet... (Charges in 15 minutes and automatically limited to 25A)

That is all dandy for what it is.
However for your buffered deal, where it is just a big electron soak, then maybe you want it without the balancer?

And you are correct, it is not specifically for car audio, it is a starting battery style of thing.

The XS power sounds like a cheap-n-cheerful storefront for Abiaba.
But if they do have a phone, then I would try to find out what the max inrush current is, and whether they are balanced. They sort of look shonky,

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
322 Posts
I thought you bought the cap bank off eBay? That one at least has the balancing connections between each cap. What cap bank are you talking about in this thread? You can always buy those balancing boards very cheap and put them on your current unbalanced bank then re shrink wrap it or put it in a battery hull so it looks exactly like the xs power banks. They sell empty hulls of any size you want.

after watching that video, I was surprised the 1f cap made that big of difference in that dynamic test. I’m now going to move my maxwell 58f cap bank close to my sub amp. If 1f does that much then 58f should be even better, or the same but for slightly longer duration.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The XS power sounds like a cheap-n-cheerful storefront for Abiaba.
But if they do have a phone, then I would try to find out what the max inrush current is, and whether they are balanced. They sort of look shonky,
NOT sure what shonky means, but XS Power was established in 2005, and actually manufacturers their batteries in the US.
It has been serving both the vehicle racing and car audio biz for a reliably long time now.

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
NOT sure what shonky means, but XS Power was established in 2005, and actually manufacturers their batteries in the US.
It has been serving both the vehicle racing and car audio biz for a reliably long time now.
I think you know what shonky means ;)

Good to know they are established.

I am assuming that the XS is just a pure capacitor, and that the maxwell is more a charge and single dump.
It would be good to know the max inrush current for the XS, and if they, do not have the balacaning.
The maxwell unit looks all wrong for Chris's application... but great for a starter battery.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I think you know what shonky means ;)
Is it short for "Shonky Tonk"??

... a kind of Australian macho bullwhip dance done to country tunes... like this one--

Sorry if that was too harsh ...to watch !!! JK/LOL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts