·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
have narrowed my options to:
alpine spx-17pro (350 ebay)
RE AUDIO XXX6.5C (300 ebay)
or open to suggestions. want a set with about 100w rms to each side.

i currently have the alpine spx17REF's but a woofer got messed up and one of my crossovers is also messed up so i want to upgrade to a better set plus i upgraded my pdx 4.100 to a alpine pdx 4.150
leaning towards the alpine since the rest of speakers( cept sub) are alpine and have heard nothing but great things about the tweeters in the pro's.
my budget is $400.00 MAX!

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Are you going active or passive? I just got a pair of zapco competition 6.5 mids and tweeters. I bought something else before these arrived and I think I'm going with the other stuff. PM me for info

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i plan on running them active. i have my doors covered with mega mat and then went over the mat with eDead v3. soon after i install the components i want to cover the doors with 1/8 ensolite.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Those Alpine Type X Pro's are a nice set, everything but the midbass output isn't too impressive.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If you're going to run active processing, why not get some DIY drivers instead? It will cost you less $$$ and sound just as good or better than the prefab sets.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're going to run active processing, why not get some DIY drivers instead? It will cost you less $$$ and sound just as good or better than the prefab sets.
please tell me more. i guess icould keep my REF tweeters and one crossover and replace the mids and the other xover.

i'm also in the process of droppin in a ae w7 13.5 in and have a box built to specs. trying to save every couple bucks i can. i see it as $550 for the sub maybe another 300 for the box plus the damn components so im looking at about $1200 :/

·
Registered
183 Posts
if you're going active, you won't need the crossover. $850 for sub and box is a chunk of you're budget. what amp you using for the sub? Since your tweeters are still good, i would keep them and with the $400, buy a nice set of mids.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Agreed. Go to parts express, save yourself cash and get these for a good setup:

Vifa XT25 (tweeters)
Vifa XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator Tweeter

RS180 -7" (mid range / mid bass)
Dayton Audio RS180-4 7" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm

Dayton 10" HO (subwoofer if you have a small ported box)
Dayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm

OR
Dayton 12" HF (subwoofer if you can build a large ported box)
Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm High Fidelity Reference Series

So from my quick tally of the costs:
(2*$25) + (2*$46) + (1*$130) = $272 delivered.

Cross the mids / tweeters @ 2000hz to 2100hz with some $50 Audiocontrol 2xs you can get in the classified here. The highpass xover of the rs180's will depend on how much you deaden the doors. Mine are crossed at 60Hz but I damn near doubled my doors weight with raamat, ensolite and mlv. So even with the crossover, you've got an entire sub mid tweeter combo for the same price of the component sets you were originally planning.

I've ran this setup in my truck for over 4 years now, and this setup alone has convinced many of future installs to go with diy speakers over premade car audio brands.

In other words, like a lot of people on these forums, I'm not recommending you get something I've never heard. Its amazing how many people post recommendations of products they read about on other forums.

And before you start saying "I've never heard of Dayton lol" go to some diy speaker forums / websites and read up on reviews of the speaker builds using Daytons. Let me assure you the members of home speaker forums are the jewish princesses of the music industry. i.e, VERY, VERY picky and fussy. THeir endorsements carry a lot of weight.

Also, minivanman did an awesome kippel review of the Dayton 10" HO subwoofer on this forum. Its what convinced me to go with it in my system after many years of wasting money on 'boutique' brands of car audio speakers. I'll never go back. (the only exception is my old MB Quart Q series components that were awesome).

PS: The only reason I didnt recommend the RS48f tweeters I have is because they are HUGE and are difficult to install in most cars. I have done 6 installs with the xt25 / rs180 combo and they compliment each other very nicely at 2100Hz. If you plan on crossing the tweeter higher, I would rethink the rs180 as its not intended to be crossed higher than 2200hz.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
One of the other options is the 720PRS set from Pioneer, I know its 6.75"... It is a nice two way set and should be pretty easy to find for around $200...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just might go the diy route. just not sure on what set of mid's to pick up.
oh and i also have a alpine pdx 1000.1 that will be powering my sub.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm now wanting to go passive and maybe picking up those mid daytons and keep my tweeters. all i'd have to buy besides is an spx ref17 crossover.
any other ideas?

·
Registered
260 Posts
i'm now wanting to go passive and maybe picking up those mid daytons and keep my tweeters. all i'd have to buy besides is an spx ref17 crossover.
any other ideas?
If you're keeping those tweeters, you might want to go with the Dayton 6" RS150's Dayton Audio RS150-4 6" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm

They can play a little higher at the expense of bass response. I only recommend the RS180's if you can cross below 2500hz as they do not perform well above that (IMHO). The RS180's were designed to compliment the RS28 dome tweeters (silk or aluminum) that can play down to 1300hz with ease.

I don't know your tweeters well, but somebody here can recommend a great matching midwoofer for it.

PS: If you have the cash, the Usher 8948a is considered one of the best woofers in the world. Usher 8948A 7" Carbon Fiber/Paper Woofer. I think somebody was posting a used set in the classified earlier.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow the usher 8948a look beastly! wish i could hear some of these midwoofers before i bought them.
100 bucks a pair for the DA rs180 or
70 a pair for the rs150.
what would be ideal to pair up with my pdx 4.150 and my tweeters?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts