DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.
i've been a long time reader of the site but this is my first post. Noob to this super complicated world of mobile audio. Any audio for that matter.

I got a 98 ford ranger(mazda b2500) dual cab truck. asia version with a 2.5 liter diesel motor. I run pioneer 6950ib headunit and four 3 way pioneer speakers placed in all four doors of the truck. run straight off the head unit with no amps.

Been wanting to hook up a subwoofer for a while but finding space to hook one up has been the biggest issue.
I'm not after high end bass setups. just something that can play decent bass is all i want :) Also i'm on a very tight budget.
with all that in mind, and without doing enough research...i bought two JBL GTO804 and a JBL GT5-A402 2ch amp. :D
Bought them online since shallow mount subs are hard to some by where i live.

Here's my dilemma
The subs i bought have a mounting depth of 4-3/8 inches
The only place i have in the cab hook these up is under the front two seats. The amp can be placed behind the back bench seat. there's a bit space back there but not enough for a sub to go in.
Space betweein the bottom bit of the seat and the truck floor is about 6inches. Might be able to gain another inch or so by slightly raising the seats up a tad and removing a bit of the stock floor carpeting.
JBL says a sealed box should have 0.3 cubic feet of space.

The question is... what are the drawbacks of having an ultra thin sealed box?
I haven't done the math but i'm guessing that i can get the 0.3 cubic ft space by having a larger base...

appreciate any help guys and sorry for the cheapo setup and a long post :(

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had a Dayton shallow 12" with probably a half inch if that of room between the magnet and the bottom of the box. It was one of the weirdest sealed boxes. But it played fine except it didn't have great power handling and couldn't hit the lows extremely well.
Also had a 10" with little space between the magnet and the back of the box, but that box was ported. It sounded pretty good for what it was.

Maybe you could try to port your boxes some way. The only drawbacks I see are possibly power handling, cancellation(?), and a possible chance of the box bending a little causing the magnet to hit the back.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
1/2" ply should work for that, or mdf. You might be able to tilt the sub on an angle and fit it that way, if the side of the magnet nearly hits the vent will have more room. I'd make them larger if possible or whatever models better if you are looking for better SQ and getting lower. I would highly recommend you get an amp on everything, even a used 4x50 should be cheap and run your speakers far better than a HU, sound better. You can cheat on boxes too, cut a hole larger than the magnet and put a plate of metal over it. Use metal you can't bend by hand like .125" or close.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
What do you mean man? Sounds interesting
If you have to make the box say where the sub motor is near touching the back of the box, you cut a hole in the box there. Then patch the hole on the outside with thin metal you could even countersink it if you wanted. Obviously something you do when that is hidden, but then you gain whatever the thickness of the box is and the motor can vent. It works on an angle too you can put one side of the motor into the box material that way, for say a box with an angled front. So you can lose close to 1/2" on box height doing this with a box made of 1/2".

Since the hole is not that big you can use fairly thin metal, 1/8 should be plenty for most motor diameters maybe you can use thinner. Only thing you have to account for is the metal and screws/etc you attach it with will be protruding from the box. If you have it against carpet it may sink into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts