DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Universal A-pillar or dashboard speaker pod for 3" or 4" drivers, maybe even a tweet.

The unit in my topic - does it exist?

If not, why haven't any of the handy members of this forum created one, and made themselves filthy rich...? :cool:

I'd buy a pair!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Re: Universal A-pillar or dashboard speaker pod for 3" or 4" drivers, maybe even a tw

There's a thread on here somewhere in which people have used PVC pipe to mount small mids & tweets into. Some of those look pretty good when they've been finished out to blend nicely with their vehicle interior.

The Headshok vendor on here also sells nicely finished aluminum pods sourced from Asia, but they are a bit spendy (I have a set) and the selection is limited. The adjustable mounting stem on some of them is a bit of a pain in the ass to adjust when you're trying to aim these too.

I came up with a universal design in 2 sizes, (mid & tweet) in aluminum, that I plan to have a prototype set of each made in a few weeks for my own trials. I also have found an adjustable stem that should work quite nicely and is easy to adjust when mounted. To keep my initial costs down, these won't be cosmetically finished as well as the headshok versions, but they could be polished, anodized, painted or otherwise finished later if desired. I'm looking at ~$130/set for my first two sets. If they turn out nice, I'll share the results here.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Re: Universal A-pillar or dashboard speaker pod for 3" or 4" drivers, maybe even a tw

The unit in my topic - does it exist?

If not, why haven't any of the handy members of this forum created one, and made themselves filthy rich...? :cool:

I'd buy a pair!
probably because there is such a difference in not only speaker sizes and mounting options but a-pillars are all different sizes and are mounted in different angles.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

If you search prefab a pillars I think I had a post a couple years back. We found some companies that are out of business now. Some were european and didnt really have cars any of us had. There are a few US shops that do them, but they are for specific cars and the work to mod them wasnt worth it to me. The others, the price was so out of hand it would have been cheaper to get a shop or a person to build them for you custom. Basically what I founds was it was cheaper and probably more effective to have someone do some fiberglass work and build you a set after you get the speakers you want.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Actually, this was more an invitation for handy people wanting to make cash. I'm sure there's a market for this kind of accessory? Like a semi-DIY product for the not-so-handy and very busy guys like me? :D

One could make a custom A-pillar pod for, let's say, a 3 inch midrange and a tweeter. The baffle could be like 10-11cm wide and be tear (or pear) shaped, to fit most 3" and even some 4" drivers, and a tweeter next to it. And another kind with a round baffle for just single 3"-4" full range drivers.

It doesn't have to offer big adjustability. It doesn't have to have ideal enclosure volume for one certain 3" driver (most high pass them anyway, right). And it sure doesn't have to be on axis mountable. Just mountable with some slight angle adjustment.

It could actually just be so simple as a very small, flat enclosure, like a piece of thin tube fitted with a rear plate and a baffle (shipped without a hole in it, for better compatibility with different drivers), and a narrow, pivoting/adjustable bracket that screws onto surfaces - kick panels or A-pillars.

Then the customer can mold around or just stretch carpet over the pod and around the A-pillar/kick panel, and he's done.

It wouldn't be expensive to make (maybe $10 plus the custom bracket that should be possible to get from taking apart something else, maybe a HT satellite mounting bracket for $5 on eBay), nor very time consuming except for the first few made.

I'd pay $100 a pair for such pods. That's maybe $80 profit for 1-2 hours work, I don't know what you guys make, but it would work for me - if I had the time. And skills. :)

·
Registered
844 Posts

^^^
Unless someone was pumping out pods as you described in some sort of volume (and/or using cheap third world labor), I think your estimates of invested time/materials are pretty unrealistically low to think someone could only have $10-20 in each set. There's just that not much demand for something like this. Plus, you're going to end up with one size fits all, which is going to work out for very few in the end. And at ~$100, people are expecting a more polished product and not a kluged together Home Depot creation they could DIY. IMHO...

·
Registered
844 Posts

I changed directions on my pods and decided to combine the mid & tweet in a single pod as a first trial. My design is shown in the pics. This shows a Scan 10F mid, which is claimed to be a 4" driver, but it's more like 3.5" and just slightly larger than a HAT L3SE. That way the pod would be sized to handle just about any 3" driver that I know of. It's 4.25" x 6.62" x 3" deep", which gives it an internal volume of ~.8L or 51cu".

For a smaller driver like a Hertz HL70, the size could probably be reduced by ~.5" in every dimension. I'm showing a Scan R2004 tweet for now, which is similar in size to a lot of popular large format tweeters.

The back housing is black HDPE. The intermediate plate is aluminum, which could be easily removed and modified/replaced to accomodate different drivers. This pod could lay flat on the dash or stand vertcially nest to the A-pillar, at least I plan on trying it both ways.

I need feedback on the optimal center to center distance of the mid-tweet, and of the optimal shape of the internal cavity for sound reproduction, keeping in mind that I'm trying to maintain a reasonable manufacturing cost, so no rounded interior features other than ball end mill corner radii in the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Looks good, but maybe you could/would consider making it sloped or angled, so it will mount and look better on the dash/A-pillars?

If both the tweeter and mid was angled towards the listener when mounted vertically on a pillar, or towards the listener/windshield when mounted horizontal on the dash, it would help a lot... I think... :)

Maybe it could even slope a little in two directions. When looking at the first picture you posted, I would like it to slope upwards and right. If it was my pod. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts

I would be nice to have some angled spacers as an "option" to these types of pods. Too many pillars have strange angles, namely my F150. DIY's might way to angle the speakers slightly after install to image.

·
Registered
844 Posts

Looks good, but maybe you could/would consider making it sloped or angled, so it will mount and look better on the dash/A-pillars?

If both the tweeter and mid was angled towards the listener when mounted vertically on a pillar, or towards the listener/windshield when mounted horizontal on the dash, it would help a lot... I think... :)

Maybe it could even slope a little in two directions. When looking at the first picture you posted, I would like it to slope upwards and right. If it was my pod. :)
Yup, I mocked up that first pod out of sahara foam and it didn't fit well with the dash/windshield, so I came up with a different design with the sides angled back as much as possible, see below. But I got sticker shock from the machining quote for this design, so it's not going to happen any time soon.

I have designs on a similar kickpod that I'm working on, but it's definitely going to be too blocky to use as a dashpod.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Those pictures! Wow, that's pretty much how I pictured it in my mind! I would probably try to make it more like wedge than equally sloped all around. But that's some great modeling work! :D

Now, get some sponsors, and start molding these in ABS plastic or something ASAP, and get filthy rich. Or not. But make one for yourself? And me? :p

Anyway, looks really great just like that!

·
Premium Member
17 Posts

Yup, I mocked up that first pod out of sahara foam and it didn't fit well with the dash/windshield, so I came up with a different design with the sides angled back as much as possible, see below. But I got sticker shock from the machining quote for this design, so it's not going to happen any time soon.

I have designs on a similar kickpod that I'm working on, but it's definitely going to be too blocky to use as a dashpod.

This is weird... I just came across this thread looking at pillars and getting ideas for my plan.. I just seen this post and I have the 10F and the scanspeak d2004 tweeter. Did you end up making this pods?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts