DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to fit 1- 10" Polk MM1404 under the rear passenger side of my crew cab to save the space on the drivers rear. All the boxes I've seen are for the passenger side, so I bought a pre-fab truck box that fits perfect on it's back (firing up) except the sub will fire into the bottom of the seat. The crew cab seat has an area behind the carpet on the bottom of the seat that will allow me another 2 1/2 inches of area that is about 16" wide x 16 long (mainly the center area of the seat). I'm planning on building something around the sub to keep it from hitting the carpet and either leaving all sides open (like plexi or wood on posts) or just the front and back and enclosed on the sides.

My question is do you think being under the seat will make it sound bad or vibrate the seat too much and sound like crap? It has room around the complete edge, which varies in distance from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 at the back, so it seems like enough air space?

Curious what some of the experts think that have experience with air space or lack of?

Thank you!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm trying to fit 1- 10" Polk MM1404 under the rear passenger side of my crew cab to save the space on the drivers rear. All the boxes I've seen are for the passenger side, so I bought a pre-fab truck box that fits perfect on it's back (firing up) except the sub will fire into the bottom of the seat. The crew cab seat has an area behind the carpet on the bottom of the seat that will allow me another 2 1/2 inches of area that is about 16" wide x 16 long (mainly the center area of the seat). I'm planning on building something around the sub to keep it from hitting the carpet and either leaving all sides open (like plexi or wood on posts) or just the front and back and enclosed on the sides.

My question is do you think being under the seat will make it sound bad or vibrate the seat too much and sound like crap? It has room around the complete edge, which varies in distance from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 at the back, so it seems like enough air space?

Curious what some of the experts think that have experience with air space or lack of?

Thank you!
I've never owned a truck, but I when it comes with speaker placement I think you just need to experiment. There is no right or wrong answer, it's just want sounds the best to you! You might want to try reversing the polarity of the subwoofer and see if that does anything for you too. It's probably not going to do miracles, but it's free and easy enough to do. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I'm more concerned about lack of air space around the sub or vibrating the seat too much if it's facing right into the bottom. I know people put subs right behind the seats in regular cabs, so maybe it's not a big deal.

Any other insight would be appreciated.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
As long as there is an exit point for the waves, and the seat does not come into contact with the surround, you should be fine. JL has a few stealth boxes like the configuration you are describing. Added pics. Plus, putting MDF rails on either side of the sub, running front to back, will help prevent sag when the seat is occupied.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as there is an exit point for the waves, and the seat does not come into contact with the surround, you should be fine. JL has a few stealth boxes like the configuration you are describing. Added pics. Plus, putting MDF rails on either side of the sub, running front to back, will help prevent sag when the seat is occupied.
Cool. If those JL subs work with that much space, mine will definitely work. Thank you for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I can't speak for the acoustics in your truck, but in mine it works quite well. I have a pair of Eclipse 12's up firing under my rear seat, and I haven't noticed any rear seat vibration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts