DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm piecing together a 3-way system and I'm stuck on 2 dedicated midbass drivers. Both fit my price range very well, but if you guys have something else in mind I'll be glad to hear it.

These will be going in custom kick panels made by yours truly.

Candidate #1:

Parts-Express.com:Dayton RS180-4 7" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm | rs225-4 7" woofer midbass rs aluminum cone phase plug dayton

Space MIGHT be an issue with these, but I do like Parts Express's no hassle return policy.

#2:

Peerless 830946 SLS 6.5" Woofer - 4 ohm from Madisound

I'm not sure the "exact" terminology that I'm trying to describe, but I think "impact" is what I'm going for. The "kick in your chest" feeling.

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The exact question I was about to post.

I was thinking peerless as the Daytons look to start rolling off a lot at 200 HZ.
The peerless look good from 60-200 which is exactly where I want them.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
You made the right choice. For dedicated midbass duties, the SLS is superior to the Dayton. If it were going to be used as a combo midrange/midbass, then the Dayton would have been better.
The Peerless SLS plays lower with more authority than the Dayton.

You'll dig em :)

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Who cares about lower? It's a midbass and he's looking for impact, which is the 80-200 range. I'm not saying One is better than th eother since I've never heard the SLS, but playing lower isn't going to give him the impact he wants, plus he's ptobably going to run a sub as well.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know what the "appropriate" enclosure would look like? How big, per say? Or if I even need one at all? Just trying to get some opinions/facts/recommendations here.

I'm in the beginning stages of my kick panel build (s10), and still have time to change the design, and it would make my life a HECK of a lot easier if these suckers didn't need to be in an enclosure.

I talked to a friend of mine who knows quite a bit and he was explaining to me how they would "like" to be in a .1 cu ft enclosure, so he says (he plugged in the t/s parameters into WinISD? and showed me the chart). I'm kind of bending over backwards (no pun intended) to get .1 cubic feet out of my kicks here, so if I didn't need to do that, then my life would be a lot easier.

Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts