DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is simple:

IYO, which is The best Up to 3" Widebander speaker money can buy for go "twiterless"?

Requeriments:

* Up to 3" diameter.
* Freq. range up to 20,000 khz (efforthless)
* 4 ohms

(Please NO 3.5", 4"... suggestions)

Thnks! ;)

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
re: Up to 3" Wide-range drivers for go "tweeterless"

Here some candidates:

Fountek FR89EX
Celestion AN3510
Fountek FR88EX
FaitalPRO 3FE22
Peerless 830987
Tang Band W3-1053SC
Tang Band W3-881SJ
Celestion AN2775
Dayton Audio ND65
Scan-speak Discovery 5F/8422T-01
Celestion AN2075
Fountek FR58EX
Peerless NE95W-04
Tang Band W3-926 SD
Tang Band W3-926 SD
Tang Band W3-1364 SA
Aurasound NS3-193
Peerless 830986

· Registered
10,788 Posts

My question is simple:

IYO, which is The best Up to 3" Widebander speaker money can buy for go "twiterless"?

Requeriments:

* Up to 3" diameter.
* Freq. range up to 20,000 khz (efforthless)
* 4 ohms

(Please NO 3.5", 4"... suggestions)

Thnks! ;)

Nothing that size will do 20khz effortlessly. A 3" driver will begin beaming more than 2 octaves below that point. You'll need them on axis if you want to get close to 20khz. How low do you need them to play?

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Nothing that size will do 20khz effortlessly. A 3" driver will begin beaming more than 2 octaves below that point. You'll need them on axis if you want to get close to 20khz. How low do you need them to play?
No problem to mounting them on-axis (on dash).

About low point, I guess I have no issues because I plan to play them above 450 khz.

What about some High-end driver? (Micro precision, HAT, Brax...?) Any suggestion?

· Registered
10,788 Posts

Thanks for your input.

I searched about its GS25. It seems a very nice speaker, but the maker recommends a LP at 12khz, so, I don´t know how well it would performs above this point :confused:
You wont find a single driver that size that excels up high, that's why traditionally people use tweeters. Tweeterless systems are less common, because they don't work as well. Dig up FR charts, hopefully with on and off axis measurements, that will tell you a lot about how a driver can do as long as you put it perfectly on axis.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

You wont find a single driver that size that excels up high, that's why traditionally people use tweeters. Tweeterless systems are less common, because they don't work as well. Dig up FR charts, hopefully with on and off axis measurements, that will tell you a lot about how a driver can do as long as you put it perfectly on axis.
Looking for FR charts in PE site, it seem many of the drivers listed on post #2, can reach 20khz with no problem (on-axis, of course), so, what is the diference of get 15khz from a tweeter than 15khz from any of these tiny full-ranges? On the paper they are pretty the same :confused::confused::confused:

· Blue Collar Audiophile
15,987 Posts

In your case, I'd get the Illusion c3 3" coaxial and run it passive. I've heard them and they sound excellent passive.

· Blue Collar Audiophile
15,987 Posts

Looking for FR charts in PE site, it seem many of the drivers listed on post #2, can reach 20khz with no problem (on-axis, of course), so, what is the diference of get 15khz from a tweeter than 15khz from any of these tiny full-ranges? On the paper they are pretty the same :confused::confused::confused:
A tweeter will add that extra sparkle up top. Now, you have to remember that a "fullrange" driver will usually have terrible sensitivity. And when they decide they don't want to play any lower they'll let you know in a hurry. I wouldn't cross most 2" "fullrange" speakers below 800hz and most 3" I wouldn't take much below 500hz or so. Lower frequencies require cone area to keep from sounding strained and thin at higher volume.

· Registered
10,788 Posts

What you call "no problem" is anything but. These speakers have to be on axis, directly on axis. Most of us would consider that at least a bit of a problem, maybe more. You may get 20khz, but only while you are on axis, move a few inches and the top end will drop like rock. That's what beaming will do. Beaming isn't a major problem immediately, but once you're talking 2 octaves above beaming, then the problem will likely be pretty noticeable.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

What you call "no problem" is anything but. These speakers have to be on axis, directly on axis. Most of us would consider that at least a bit of a problem, maybe more. You may get 20khz, but only while you are on axis, move a few inches and the top end will drop like rock. That's what beaming will do. Beaming isn't a major problem immediately, but once you're talking 2 octaves above beaming, then the problem will likely be pretty noticeable.
This is a very good point. I was thinking that as I don´t care about the passenger side, I would be fine... but, if any time I turn my head to watch the mirror I will hear a noticeable loss of SQ... this definitively is a big problem!

Anyway, this tiny point source @Hillbilly_SQ sugest (Illusion C3 coax), should be perfect for my project...

Thanks a lot for the input.

· Blue Collar Audiophile
15,987 Posts

I think you'll be happy with the c3's. One of the better sounding sq comp cars I've heard over the past 10 years or so had them off axis in pillars playing from around 500hz and up passive. I had planned on doing the same basic install in my Jeep but decided to KISS instead, and I'm sure not wanting to pay someone to glass me some pillars played a big part too.

· Blue Collar Audiophile
15,987 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.