DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the 90's I was big into the car audio scene. I had every issue of various car audio magazines and I knew the difference between a car that could boom and a car that sounded GOOD.

It has been several years since I have bothered with the car audio much more than changing the head unit and where I once knew that JL audio was awesome for subs, Boston Acoustics were great for mids and highs and a little known secret alternative to subs if you had small confines to work with were AI Research Impacts, I now look at what's available and feel a bit at a loss. While I recognize brands that I 'grew up' with, I'm seeing some new ones that I'm not so familiar with.

With that said, I would greatly appreciate some non-biased feedback on which brands are the ones to lean toward and which ones are the ones I want to avoid. Which models of subs are better for thump (Pyle and Rockfords were good in this area back in the day) and which ones are good for smooth lows (JL Audio, Kicker to a lesser extent). Who makes solid amps? Are Monster and Phoenix still the brands to gravitate toward for cabling?

End goal for me is to build a solid, good sounding system that covers a range of 20-22k hz with very few dips. I have no need to shake anyone's windows, but I like to listen to almost every genre of music under the sun - with the glaring exception of opera *shudder* - which includes bass-heavy songs.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. But please don't just say, "*insert brand* sucks." Please let me know why it sucks. Thanks again.

·
Registered
274 Posts
All those once awesome brands sold their souls to China in 2000 (ish). Now....IMO they are all junk. There quality went to poop and started marketing to junior high kids wanting to out do his buddys chrome subs.

You could always go the 'old school' route. Many of the amps that were awesome back in the day are still around at a fraction of what they cost new.

For suggested brands today.....

I like:
Audison (Italian)
Morel
Hertz
Focal
Tru
Zapco

Certainly these are a bit on the upper end of the money spectrum......but they aint made in China and are not what you see in a high school kids big muffler honda.

Good luck....

~JH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts