DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know there are scores of threads on speaker pods (and I've scoured them) but I've yet to come across any real discussion on where folks are sourcing the hollow ball & socket/swivel mounts. I've seen some parts that I could piece together but there's got to be a source for finished product out there -- maybe I'm just not searching for the right keywords? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eBay has them. Or make your own out of pvc cups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks... I've seen the eBay ones and they look great. I was mainly looking for just the mounting hardware parts to do a swivel mount to the A pillar.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think this hardware would be perfect, but I have no idea where to get it. I know they're some kind of lamp swivel but I just can't find the same one regardless of what I search.

The guy from Printed Acoustics uses these... I've tried to contact him several times to no avail. In fact, I was just ready to have him build pods for me and be done with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just may have found it. The main part looks almost identical to the ones on the pods pictured above, and then it appears that adding some threaded pipe/nipple to the female part would complete it. Shazam...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For anyone following and remotely interested, these are the Audible Physics 2" drivers I've decided on for the mids in the 3-way stage:

They're on their way to me, but it will be some time before I can install/tune them bc I still need to figure out a pod solution. I've got a lead with a guy who has experience 3D printing pods (info below) so I'll likely go that route. I can report progress if anyone's interested later on -- thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For anyone still following, I found a source for pod mounting hardware that I thought I'd share (www.grandbrass.com). Bought a couple of hollow swivel adapters, some nuts/washers, and some threaded nipple pipe for around $16. I found a few different options for adapters and each had a few finishes to choose from -- I chose this one:

And as mentioned in the previous post, I also found a guy who does 3D printed pods. He is fast with communication/shipping and does great work, and mine were $75 shipped which is very reasonable IMO. My tentative plan is to finish these with a couple coats of primer and textured metallic paint. They'll be loaded with the Audible Physics CP-220 wideband (pictured -- a steal at $22) running only upper mids as part of an active 3-way stage.

IMG-0419.JPG IMG-0420.JPG

·
Premium Member
2021 Camaro 2SS
271 Posts
This is very timely as I'm getting ready to build some pods for my tweeters. Can I impose on you to post the full parts list from Grand Brass?
I selected these, but not sure it's correct...

·
Registered
105 Posts
As cheap as it is, I'd get some different lengths on the threaded nipples as extras. I ended up using longer ones on mine, 3/4"

Then you can play a bit with where they're going.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is very timely as I'm getting ready to build some pods for my tweeters. Can I impose on you to post the full parts list from Grand Brass?
I selected these, but not sure it's correct...
View attachment 284070
Awesome, I'm glad this was helpful! Your parts list actually looks the same as mine. And as @RyuTsuiSRyu mentioned, it's a good idea to get a couple different lengths of threaded nipple - I got 1/2" and 1". I also got some 1/8 IPS 3/4" diameter rubber washers just in case the fit to my A pillar was a little askew but I doubt I'll even need them.

My first choice for the swivel was the non-tapered one that I linked in post #12 of this thread, but I was afraid that the threaded shaft would be too short to go through my pod and I didn't want to mess with trying to extend/adapt it. I do really like the looks of the one I got though and the shaft is about twice as long.

Good luck with the pods and let me know if I can be of further help. Feel free to post some progress pics!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As cheap as it is, I'd get some different lengths on the threaded nipples as extras. I ended up using longer ones on mine, 3/4"

Then you can play a bit with where they're going.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This is a great point - I got 1/2" and 1" just to be sure. And this stuff is so cheap I don't feel bad about throwing any unused parts in a drawer for another project.

·
Premium Member
2021 Camaro 2SS
271 Posts
Awesome, I'm glad this was helpful! Your parts list actually looks the same as mine. And as @RyuTsuiSRyu mentioned, it's a good idea to get a couple different lengths of threaded nipple - I got 1/2" and 1". I also got some 1/8 IPS 3/4" diameter rubber washers just in case the fit to my A pillar was a little askew but I doubt I'll even need them.

My first choice for the swivel was the non-tapered one that I linked in post #12 of this thread, but I was afraid that the threaded shaft would be too short to go through my pod and I didn't want to mess with trying to extend/adapt it. I do really like the looks of the one I got though and the shaft is about twice as long.

Good luck with the pods and let me know if I can be of further help. Feel free to post some progress pics!
Perfect! Thanks so much for posting this.

Reactions: Jsnichols2
1 - 20 of 23 Posts