DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ran through and updated all the speaker testing data with the correct files. There were alot of errors that no one managed to pick out :)

Will also update tonight with some more 3" drivers courtesy of our resident lycanthrope.

·
Registered
75 Posts
maybe some listening test on 3" drivers as well :)

The Trius "strong point" is the off-axis abilitys...
Roughly 30 degrees is the recomended angle...

Best Wishes
Rutger

Ps! I can not send pm to You npdang...my computer crashes everytime :(

W

·
0 Posts
rutger ... the very man who helped (greatly) to supply these Trius drivers! Thank you, my friend! Test reports already posted :)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It gets confusing when you have hundreds of measurements with the same file names lol.

I did listen to the Trius, and honestly the thing sounds like a tweeter :) I may need to stick it in on a baffle, but I certainly believe that "strong off-axis" is this driver's specialty. I still have a hard time believing how well this thing measures.

·
Registered
75 Posts
it measures good and sounds good :)
One of those speakers that promises a lot, and delivers it too :D

Here in Sweden we x-over them att 160-200hz hp with a slope of 24db.
I personal x-over them at 200hz, and had a Amega 6,5" for midbas duties playing 40-200hz.
And a DD 10" as a sub.

It sounded good enough to earn me a 2nd place on the Swedish final...

The Trius is based on a Vifa speaker, but to my understanding a few things are changed to make it a Trius.
What exactly I don´t know...

I bought it after I had heard it...the feeling of "I MUST BUY THIS SPEAKER" have never been so obvious...

Hmm, I´m starting to sound as a salesperson now :p :D
I assure you all, I´m not...
Just wanted to let werewolf (and the rest of You) get the chance to hear what it could do.

Best Wishes
Rutger

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
rutger j, npdang, werewolf:

First off thanks to werewolf and rutger j for going through the effort to obtain these mids. And ofcourse thanks to npdang for testing and providing this great forum.

As you are the only guys in North Amercia who have heard these speakers can you describe the sound, detailed like Excel or warmer sounding...? The speaker has a high Qts, do they need to be run IB/Freeair?

Where do you cross them over on the high end? Looks to be beyond 5000Hz?

And most importantly how much and how can we get them?

Group buy anyone?

·
Registered
75 Posts
the easist way to describe the sound from them is easy listenable (if that´s a word?).
They have no peaks or dips in the respons which I believe is one of the factors that makes them so good sounding.
They are on the "border" of being tame, but at the same time they aren´t...
Maybe mellow is the right word to describe them...!!!

Have in mind that they cost roughly $130 per pair, so they doesn´t sound as detailed and haven´t got the output like a $700 speaker kit...
But I have too say that they are hard to beat in their price range...

I cross them over at 200 hz hp with a 24 db slope.
NO lp...
I let them roll off naturally...as npdang said, they are like a tweeter :D
So much so that I don´t use a tweeter at all :)
In my car they roll off naturally around 15-16 khz...
And I had them IB mounted on my Corrado dashboard, using the original mounting place (in the corners of the dash, angled straight up in the windshield).
Some damping wool was also stuffed behind them...

The cost for them here in Sweden is 500 SEK / pc.
werewolf got a "special price, only for You my friend" price :D
In US they would cost around $67 / pc

As of now, werewolf are the sole owner of them in the US...
It wasn´t as easy as I (we?) thought to ship them over the "pond", so as of now You have to say pleeeeeeeeeeeease really nice to werewolf to get one :)

Best Wishes
Rutger

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
werewolf, or whoever

if i can get 2-4 of them id love to thave them'

so who do i pay/?// i can send paypal today

i already hav a good idea to put these in my stock dash hole,

W

·
0 Posts
Alright you guys ... calm down a minute. There's still one BIG unanswered question :

WHERE CAN WE GET GRILLS TO FIT ???

That Fostex K308 comes so close ... but doesn't quite work. Who can please find some grills for these ... that fit like they were designed for them? Driver measurements (TG9FD) are on :

www.d-s-t.com

Rutger ... can you talk to the Trius suppliers about a grill? I'd even be interested in talking to them about having one special made, if necessary.

Oh, and if there's a better 3" mid, at any price, I'd love to know. The only contender at 3" might be the new Focal Be ... but you could probably do L,C,R and rear channels with the Vifa/Trius for the price of a single Utopia 3". And there's no copper in the Focal :cool:

W

·
0 Posts
Guys I'll be out of touch for two weeks, may I suggest some homework ? ;) (Once a teacher, always a teacher)

1. Find some grills for these little jewels!
2. Investigate the possibility of a group-buy with N-Core :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
regarding the grill, mr rbsarve answered that question in the "Loudspeaker Testing Data" post...
N-Core has a mould for a grill with their logo on it.

And the group buy for this puppies should be directed to mr rbsarve as well since he is the founding partner of N-Core.

werewolf:
happy holiday :)
And the BE isn´t worth its price....
Ok, that´s my PERSONAL opinion but as werewolf says, you can almost buy a complete 5.1 system for the same money... :S
And the BE can´t function as a tweeter/midrange as I understand it.
The Trius can.

Oh well, feels like I´ve said all the good things (mr rbsarve mentioned the "bad" things) i know and "feel" about this little puppies...
Since I don´t get any commission on the sales of the Trius I think I beter stop say so much good about them :D

Best Wishes
Rutger

1 - 14 of 14 Posts