DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
18,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently updated my site to include the Time Delay calculator previously on tracerite.com and added both Temperature and Humidity inputs so you can get time delay values with ambient conditions. In order to kick that off I made a short(ish) video on Time Alignment, what it is and how to use it along with how to use my site. Most of you will already know what you're doing but I wanted it to be a way for newcomers to get an idea of what it is. Hope you all find the video and/or updated site useful. And another thank you to Robert McIntosh for his help with the calculator.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/timedelaycalc/

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I recently updated my site to include the Time Delay calculator previously on tracerite.com and added both Temperature and Humidity inputs so you can get time delay values with ambient conditions. In order to kick that off I made a short(ish) video on Time Alignment, what it is and how to use it along with how to use my site. Most of you will already know what you're doing but I wanted it to be a way for newcomers to get an idea of what it is. Hope you all find the video and/or updated site useful. And another thank you to Robert McIntosh for his help with the calculator.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/timedelaycalc/

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Brilliant tutorial. Its always a pleasure reading, and now watching your informative explanations. ?

·
18,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really appreciate that.

I have to say, this took a lot longer than I expected. It’s really surprising how hard it is to do this stuff by yourself. Meaning, having people ask questions and me give answers is easy. Because, from their question, I can gauge what they already know. But when you’re trying to cover something for all experience levels it’s hard; you don’t want to confuse the nooBs but you don’t want to bore the experienced folks. And you don't want to seem super serious. So it's all a juggling act. But I'm trying. Hopefully one day I'll have enough of these to make it a good repository for newcomers.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

I have to say, this took a lot longer than I expected. It’s really surprising how hard it is to do this stuff by yourself. Meaning, having people ask questions and me give answers is easy. Because, from their question, I can gauge what they already know. But when you’re trying to cover something for all experience levels it’s hard; you don’t want to confuse the nooBs but you don’t want to bore the experienced folks. And you don't want to seem super serious. So it's all a juggling act. But I'm trying. Hopefully one day I'll have enough of these to make it a good repository for newcomers.
I’ve done training videos and I agree completely. Get me in front of a group training and it gushes out and answers come freely. Put me in front of a screen or paper trying to write a training video and it’s damn hard. :) Thanks for sharing all of this information and reinstating your website to contain it all. I missed Medley Musings but not anymore. :)

·
Registered
541 Posts

Ive only been here for a month, but it would seem that your contributions to the car audio community are arguably invaluable. ??
J

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Thanks for the resource and knowledge!

For the unnecessarily nit picky peeps like myself... for stereo subs:

Do users enter single T/A that is average distance between both subs and call it a day. Or run calc twice with each sub measured and enter 2 different sub values into DSP?

Are you able to share any more insight into the crossover option of the calculator? As I take it, the increased time delay for MB and SW are being increased to place the lower frequency drivers and the higher frequencies drivers in theoretical phase at their respective xo regions?

I'm personally having success with your xo calc feature so far using LR4 between all the XOs. I’m curious to know more about the factors that cause the method to not be as simply ‘reliable’ as just using the T/A calc alone.

I know driver placement and physical properties of the vehicle cabin introduce variables but why is it that using the additional crossover calculation wouldn’t land most people in the ballpark for proper stage?

I guess I’m asking what are the limitations or best way to utilize the crossover feature if one was inclined?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Erin, you're contributions are always outstanding and I thank you so much for the effort.
I am finally starting to understand the intricacies of driver parameters because of you, the
time alignment tutorials and Tracerite are icing on the cake.

( APPLAUSE....)

·
Registered
510 Posts
I love reading this stuff ! Thanks !
I input the distances by use of a tape measure, and the DSP does the rest.

·
18,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the resource and knowledge!

For the unnecessarily nit picky peeps like myself... for stereo subs:

Do users enter single T/A that is average distance between both subs and call it a day. Or run calc twice with each sub measured and enter 2 different sub values into DSP?

Are you able to share any more insight into the crossover option of the calculator? As I take it, the increased time delay for MB and SW are being increased to place the lower frequency drivers and the higher frequencies drivers in theoretical phase at their respective xo regions?

I'm personally having success with your xo calc feature so far using LR4 between all the XOs. I’m curious to know more about the factors that cause the method to not be as simply ‘reliable’ as just using the T/A calc alone.

I know driver placement and physical properties of the vehicle cabin introduce variables but why is it that using the additional crossover calculation wouldn’t land most people in the ballpark for proper stage?

I guess I’m asking what are the limitations or best way to utilize the crossover feature if one was inclined?

For subs, I would recommend using the center distance between them. It's funny, I covered that in one of my takes but I didn't in the final version. Go figure.

For the crossover stuff, I did cover the rationale in the video. Scroll to about the 8:30 mark and you should be good from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts