·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Some classics...

Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" of course, and the similar straight-ahead, thumping 4/4 kickdrum in Janet Jackson's "When I Think of You"...

New Order's "Blue Monday"...

The bass drum in the intro to Uncle Lucius' "Keep The Wolves Away"...

Any of Khruangbin's albums...

There are several excellent "bass definition & impact" tracks on the Stockfisch Records "AYA" (Are You Authentic) car audio test SACD.

For Upright Acoustic Double Bass Realism...

The Steph Johnson Trio's ''Nature Girl" album.

Brian Bromberg's "Wood II" album.

Leroy Vinnegar's "Walkin' the Basses" album.

Adam Ben Ezra's "Can't Stop Running"...

Electric or Synth Bass...

Groundation's "Dub War's" album...."Elder's Dub" and "Dub Rise" tracks.

Dub Colossus' "Dub in a Time of Cholera" from "Dub Me Tender" album (intro drums & bass guitar).

The Expendables "Gettin' Filthy" album.

Old "Digital Bassics" compilation CD!

Karsh Kale "One Step Beyond".

Robert Miles & Trilok Gurtu "Miles_Gurtu" album

Morley - Sun Machine Album

Gus-Gus "Blue Mug", Marcy Playground "Sex & Candy" and Jeff Buckley's "So Real" from the 'live in studio' performances on KCRW's Rare On Air Vol. 4 CD...
https://www.amazon.com/Rare-Air-Vol-4-KCRW/dp/B00000DBX3

25 of the Best Tracks for Testing BASS - What Hi-Fi? (Apple Music Playlist)

To Be Continued...

·
Registered
7,203 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
MTV Alice in chains is well recorded and has panning kick and bass guitar that is always up front and layerd forgot how good this performance was

·
Registered
427 Posts
Several from Robert Palmer Addictions Vol. 1--"Johnny and Mary", "What's It Take?", "Woke Up Laughing", "Looking for Clues"

Michael Jackson "Bad"

·
Registered
206 Posts
Armin Van Buuren
Blah Blah Blah

Nils Lofgren Band
Bass & Drum Intro

A couple of my favorites for spacial cues as well with great upfront bass/midbass. Blah Blah Blah feels large like you're outside at a festival and the Bass and Drug Intro feels intimate and cozy like you're in a bar or some other small venue.

Josh

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
MTV Alice in chains is well recorded and has panning kick and bass guitar that is always up front and layerd forgot how good this performance was
Absolutely one of my favorite albums. My 'go-to' when doing a quick tune by ear.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
what's behind-bass? if it's tuned right and levels are correct it's always upfront

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what's behind-bass? if it's tuned right and levels are correct it's always upfront
Of course. But certain songs are particularly noticeable and awesome, especially when demoing to non-car audio people...

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
I think the script should be flipped on this thread. It should be "songs that are hard to get up front bass with". Theres plenty of songs that have that typical artificial kick drum that almost any system can make it seem like the bass is on the dash. Screw that. Show me a system that can play John Mayers Wildfire with the kick drum fully on the dash and thatll be impressive :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts