DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi considering my car has a lousy 20w 5-1/4" paper speakers on the front with no tweeter, what would make the most improvement .. adding lpg tweeters and leaving the factory mids or replacing the mids with ca18rnxs and runnin em full range ?

initially i was going to go for the tweets but it seems like the ca18rnxs would add a lot more bass and cover the frequency range from 100hz to 3khz (and roll off) however adding tweets would still leave the bass low however the range would be 150-200hz to 20khz ..

·
Registered
127 Posts
You're going to be in for some work to get the CA18RNXs to fit, unless you're not telling us something about the car.

I had stock 4" speakers in my Toyota Paseo, and I ended up building door pods out of fiberglass to get my CA18RNXs to fit.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
87DXHatch: hey buddy .. with the windows rolled down i borrowed a CA18RNX and pressed the back of the speaker against the glass, it sits at an angle pointing up (the glass is not parallel to the door). obviously with the speaker pressed against the glass this is as much room as i can afford. the only question is will the door trim go back on.
my idea is to zip-tie the ca18rnx into place and see if the trim will go back on, i'm praying it will.

ws6: not a bad idea but i dont want to buy new mids that are the same size as my current ones, besides those speakers arent available to australia which means i'll have the ship the bastards which'll be expensive :) i found someone here in melbourne, australia that sells the CA18RNX so i'll buy them off him but i'm trying to decide what i should upgrade first ..

1) new woofer (ca18) to replace factory paper 5-1/4" 1-way mid - $200AUD/pair
2) new tweeter (lpg) to go WITH factory mid described above - $100AUD/pair (delivered from npdang)

initially i was gonna go with the tweeter because a) woofer would require deadening b) woofer would require complex installation but now i'm thinking will the tweeter really add that much to the factory mid or would i prefer the clear enhanced 80hz-3hz response of a ca18rnx and just boost the treble a little to compensate for rolloff (not perfect but i'm trying to work out what would sound better, tweeter + factory mid or ca18rnx by itself ?)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts